Ch 4: Weakness

Dion's P O.V.

I quietly entered our cell and collapsed onto my bed, feeling a bit lightheaded after being drained by Anna.

"That's his majesty's cousin," I remembered Rosaline saying that and it made me cringe. The thought of Jemiah hitting on his own cousin was absolutely repulsive.

Placing the black shirt on my bed, I mustered up my strength and stood up, wincing as a sharp pain shot through the back of my head. Slowly, I removed my hoodie and examined my bare upper body. There were scratch marks on my chest and bite marks on the side of my torso, just above my left ribs, from the older woman who had used me the previous day. The bite had been excruciatingly painful, as I could still feel the graze of her fangs against my ribcage, which led to me punching the shit out of her.

That day, I discovered that Vampires enter a state of haze while consuming blood. Although this state makes them aggressive and territorial during feeding, it also renders them vulnerable. As I relentlessly punched the woman, she remained unfazed, growling but not attempting to defend herself. I left bruises on her pale face without much resistance. The guards hearing the commotion, broke down the door and separated her from me forcefully, which led to a fight between her and the guards injuring them terribly.

If I had a good weapon with me, I could have potentially killed or severely wounded her. I made a mental note in case I needed it.

I let out a sigh of exhaustion and made my way to the restroom, carrying my clothes along. Using the torn shirt as a makeshift towel, I wiped my body clean and emerged from the washroom, fully dressed. The food was brought in for both of us and placed on the floor, which I eagerly took. I hid her container under my mattress just in case they tried to take it away for whatever reason.

I devoured my meal knowing that we only got one a day. It had become a routine for me, and I had grown accustomed to eating only once daily without any difficulty. Denise would often share a portion of her food with me, insisting that I needed more as I was bigger in size. I smiled softly.

I hung my old shirt, now wet, on the cell bars to dry it. Normally, it'd take about two days to dry a piece of cloth since there is no proper sunlight down here.

I sat patiently for what felt like an eternity, yet she had not returned. Despite my efforts to remain awake, I eventually succumbed to sleep while waiting for her.

...

I felt goosebumps all over my body, I was sweating and I couldn't breath properly.
I was shouting for help but soon it was cut short by a stab on my leg.
I looked down to see Jemiah sinking his fangs into my thin, boney leg.
I screamed in pain as his fangs bit down hard on my bones, fracturing them.
His eyes were smiling at me, deep red with hunger and thirst for blood.

I woke up suddenly, sweating on my bed and breathing raggedly. I rubbed the sweat off my forehead and tried to calm myself down.

"Are you okay?" a soft voice asked.
I looked towards Denise's bed and breathed out, "Yeah.. it's just a nightmare".

The room was already dark. They had already turned off the lights and I reached under my mattress to get her container. It was a bit smudged and I cursed under my breath. "Here, I saved it for you," I said, walking towards her.

"I'm not hungry," she whispered weakly. I could sense something wrong with her but I wasn't able to see her in the dark. From her voice, I knew she was facing the wall, with her back turned towards me. Our beds were in opposite to each other. Her's on the right and mine on the left of the cell.

"Denise, you need to eat," I spoke sternly. I didn't hear any reply from her so, I moved closer to her. Her matress dipped when I sat down on it and I could feel her body heat. I reached for her forehead, fumbling and she was burning up.

"Denise, please sit up," I pleaded, and she finally obeyed after what felt like an eternity. I tried to gently run my hand up her back but, as soon as my hand touched her, she winced in pain.

"What's wrong? Are you hurt? Answer me, please," I begged. She rested her head on my shoulder as I embraced her.

"I'll be fine, Dion. Don't worry about it."

"You don't sound fine," I argued, frustrated but I held her closer to my chest. She felt smaller in my arms but, I couldn't see her, I couldn't check her. I heard a sigh and felt her thin body relaxing on me.

"I just wanna sleep.." she let out a soft breath.

I carefully set her meal on the ground and settled onto the bed in a comfortable manner. She nestled herself onto my right arm, and I gently embraced her with my left arm, ensuring a secure hold.

Anxiety filled me, as I dreaded the arrival of the next day. The mere thought of opening my eyes in the morning was unappealing. All I yearned for was this to be forever, her sleeping peacefully in my arms, as I listened to her gentle breathing.

I closed my eyes and kissed her forehead, "Stay with me, Denise," I whispered, desperately.