Epilogue

"I picked that stone up from the beach I went with my family ...for the last time," Denise smiled at me, but it wasn't reaching her eyes.

"I cannot accept this," I said and placed it down on her bed. It had a little knot tying the little grey stone to a black thread. I knew she made it herself with how terrible the knotting was.

"It's fine Dion. It's the only gift I could ever give in this lifetime," she smiled weakly at me. I stared into her eyes, and it hurt me.

"Don't say that," I retorted, seething with anger towards her and everything else.
"Don't lose hope.. I am by your side and will remain by your side," my voice quivered.

" Someday... someday, we will stroll along the shore and handpick a stone for me together. Alright?" I whispered gently to her, settling down beside her on the bed.

"Happy 18th birthday, Dion."

.........

"Denise, be careful!" The mother called out, her voice laced with concern, as she watched her daughter scouring the beach for rocks.

Denise's eyes rolled skyward, a small huff escaping her lips as she continued her quest for the elusive rock.

"Oh! don't you give me an attitude," the woman sighed, her voice tinged with exasperation as she watched Denise persist in her search.

"Mommmmmm, I'm two feet away from the water," Denise proclaimed as she held up her hand, attempting to demonstrate the number with her fingers. After a moment of struggle, she managed to raise her index and middle fingers simultaneously, beaming at her mother with a triumphant smile.

Soon after, Denise's attention shifted back to the sand, her small fingers sifting through it in search of the perfect rock, oblivious to her mother's admonishment.

Leila couldn't contain her laughter as she rested against Dion's back, who was carrying her along the beach. Dion's soft chuckles echoed around them, the sound of their joy harmonizing with the gentle rhythm of the waves.

In that moment, Leila felt a deep sense of contentment, grateful for the love they shared and the beauty of the world around them.

Dion and Leila got married in an age-old supernatural ritual. Their wedding welcomed beings of diverse realms, with even Queen Azureth gracing the ceremony. The presence of the Sirens' Queen stirred such commotion among the attendees that the sorcerers and enchantresses were compelled to craft a potent spell to shield both mortal and immortal guests from her irresistible allure.

"This child," Dion murmured affectionately, gazing at Denise with adoration shining in her eyes. Even in her playful antics, Denise filled their hearts with love and warmth.

Dion and Leila had named their firstborn, Denise, after Dion's dearest friend. At first, they thought Denise was a boy until later, they figured that she was like her mother, Dion.

As they walked along the beach, Leila's heart swelled not only with love for her family but also with anticipation for the new life growing within her, feeling the subtle movements of the unborn child inside her.

Dion carefully carried Leila on her back for a few more steps before settling down on the sand under a tree, gently lowering Leila beside her.

"Thanks," Leila murmured, as Dion sat behind her, leaning against the tree with Leila nestled between her legs.

Before long, Denise came bouncing towards them, her bright crimson eyes shining in the sunlight and her short fiery hair of soft waves blazing even brighter than her mother's.