Ch 18: Strength

Naza was urged by Shanika to lead her pack and she acquiesced. She came to the realization that she had been too quick to doubt Dion's emotions for the human. She acknowledged that it was a mistake to assume that vampires were unable to love someone as deeply as werewolves do, despite not having mates.

Naza had no idea who the witch was, neither the rest of them. Furthermore, she was unfamiliar with Leila's scent, having never crossed paths with the individual. Her sole knowledge was of the Mahza pack, and she was eager to locate them promptly.

Dion departed in search of Anna, the King's cousin, leaving the rest to Naza and Rosaline. By having Anna by her side, Dion would finally have the opportunity to challenge the King before he launches an attack on them. Several of Dion's soldiers had allied themselves with the werewolves and joined her cause.

Rosaline and Naza along with her strongest pack members journeyed far and wide to find a trace of that pack while, Dion along with her soldiers, searched for Anna. Naza, possessing a heightened senses compared to the others, managed to detect a faint scent belonging to one of the pack members and their pursuit was steadily drawing closer.

Dion had found Anna's residence that was heavily guarded. She had been waiting for Anna to return at her residence, which was far from the Kingdom. Shortly after, one of Dion's soldiers respectfully bowed and informed her, "Anna has arrived."

Dion's troops had already subdued the sentinels, and positioned themselves in the corners, prepared for any unforeseen circumstances. Seated in the arctic dining room, Dion could feel Anna's approach drawing nearer.

"I didn't expect to see you so soon, Dion," Anna let out a seductive chuckle as she entered the room, removing the gloves from her hands and delicately positioning them on the large dining table.

Dion gazed intently at the woman positioned before her. As Anna made an attempt to approach Dion, the dark-haired woman raised her hand to stop her. "I believe you are well aware of the purpose behind my presence," Dion uttered, taking notice of Anna expecting to see her.

( In a settlement near the Hurz River )

The omega let out a cry of pain as Rosaline seized him by his hair, pulling him closer. Her growl resonated in the room, her golden eyes glowing as she warned the bruised man stained with his own blood, "I'll ask it again and this shall be the last time. Where is the human?"

He refused to answer, which led to him receiving a rough blow to his spleen, making him choke on his own blood. Rosaline grabbed the blonde man by his neck as she lifted him up against the wall, before fracturing his ribcage.

A moment later, Naza approached from behind and placed her hand on Rosaline's shoulder as she spoke in a menacing tone, "My turn." The Omega trembled upon witnessing the intensity in the Alpha's eyes.

.....

Dion appeared in the heart of the grove accompanied by her legion and was welcomed by Shanika and Ada who were both waiting for the trio's return. Convincing Anna was unnecessary for Dion, as Anna had already harbored a strong desire for King Jeroen's demise.  "What is the deal with him and his family?" Dion mused.

Nonetheless, she now had the green light to confront King Jeroen and she didn't hesitate. Dispatching one of her guards to the Palace, she instructed them to deliver the message of the impending duel.

The King was left speechless upon receiving the message. He was in disbelief. Furthermore, he was informed that Mahza's pack was being hunted by the trio. He roared in a fit of frustration, as his own kin stood alongside his enemy, daring to challenge him.

The Elders encircled him and he realised he had no choice but to accept the challenge. His own plan of turning the humans himself to make them obey to him had backfired. The strongest of his blood, his sword, had finally turned at him completely, the tip of his own sword threateningly aimed at his heart.

"I, Jeroen Zar, King of the Vampires, accept Hel's challenge for a duel."

.........

Shanika cautiously made her way towards the brunette seated by the pond. "Would you mind if I joined you?" she inquired, interrupting Dion's turbulent thoughts. Dion gazed at the woman who was softly smiling at her and gave her a nod of approval.

The expectant mother gently sat down beside Dion and placed her hands above her bump, smiling softly. "I was afraid of you," Shanika confessed, turning her gaze towards the leaves that had fallen on the pond. Dion's gaze remained on her as she spoke, "I remember the first time I heard your name; Hel, the bringer of death, and it filled me with fear."

Upon hearing that name, Dion averted her gaze.

Shanika turned her gaze to the younger woman, reminiscing about the first time she laid eyes on Dion. Shanika possessed the ability to glimpse into a fraction of people's memories with even the slightest touch.

When Dion remained unconscious, Shanika could sense Dion's disturbed state and she noticed that she was trapped in an endless nightmare. Her hand accidentally brushed against Dion's and what followed after, sent a jolt through her as a surge of memories from Dion's tumultuous past flooded her mind.

In that brief moment, Shanika experienced the depth of love Dion held for Leila but also, the anxiousness that consumed Dion like quick sand, pulling her down as she desperately tries to escape from it.

Shanika uttered softly, assuring, "Whatever that has happened in the past, it wasn't your fault. You are strong, Dion and not just physically. You're not alone; you have Rosaline by your side, you have Naza, you have us and you still have Denise. So, gather your strength and face your fear."

Dion was left speechless as she gazed at the woman seated next to her, unable to find words. The knowledge that Shanika possessed about Denise and the way she conversed with her left Dion utterly perplexed. Dion raised her hand to her heart and held the silver-grey stone that rested above her heart tightly, closing her eyes.

Dion pondered about the moment she last experienced the sensation of warmth while clutching the frigid stone. Since her transformation, her body had become cold, devoid of any warmth to heat up the Hematite that Denise had gifted her.

However, her path crossed with Leila, whose kindness and warmth brought immense joy to her. A sense of sadness overwhelmed her as tears welled up in her eyes. She needed to be strong for Leila. And this time, there was no Hel anymore. It was Dion, and she should be strong to face the challenges ahead.

The sun had begun it's journey back to it's nest. Dion assisted Shanika to her feet and walked together with her into the pack house. Ada smiled at Dion and held Shanika's hands, helping her get on her bed.

As Dion was about to leave the room, she was urgently called upon by one of Naza's pack members who had just arrived, visibly struggling to catch her breath.

Dion rushed out of the house, standing in front of the woman and soon after, Ada and Shanika followed. "What is it? Where are they?" Dion inquired, her voice filled with worry as her anxiety mounted.

"They," the woman struggled to catch her breath and took a moment to inhale deeply before responding, "They have  found the human. Leila, she is still alive."