Ch 19: Asseveration

Leila tightly hugged herself as she crouched in the corner of the room. The absence of sunlight for days had made the room increasingly colder, and Leila's endurance was reaching its limit. A sudden sting in her legs caused her to emit a small yelp.

She recalled the last time she saw Hel, causing a sharp ache in her chest. Is that the last time I'm ever gonna see her? She pondered while tears welled up in her eyes. The strange woman had inflicted something upon her when they confined her in the room. Since then, she noticed her legs beginning to weaken. She had lost the memory of what it felt like to walk.

She wiped away the tears and sniffled, questioning herself softly, "Was I mistaken about everything?"

She reminisced about the days she had spent with Hel, recalling her voice, her gaze, her lips, and that unforgettable kiss. The kiss. Leila frowned when she remembered Hel pushing her away and she felt her heart breaking once again.

"I hate her," she whispered weakly, tears streaming down her cheeks, leaving stains on the floor. "I hate her. I hate her," she kept repeating over and over again, in a desperate attempt to persuade her own heart that she felt no love towards her.

She laid weakly on the frigid floor of the dimly illuminated room, clutching her own body tightly as waves of her tormenting upbringing surged through her mind, overwhelming her senses. She squeezed her eyes shut, hoping to silence the haunting thoughts. Motionless on the cold surface, she pondered whether she was ever lovable in the first place. The ghosts of her abusive past had resurfaced once more.

A/n If there's any Leila among the readers, you deserve to be loved. Alright dear?

..........

A loud sound jolted Leila from her sleep. Subsequently, a cacophony of howls and growls filled the air, causing a great disturbance. As she tried to move closer towards the corner in a desperate attempt to hide herself, she realised that she had completely lost all sensation in her legs.

She struggled to move towards the corner as she dragged her weight across the floor solely with the strength of her arms while emitting soft whimpers.

Dion snarled, sinking her teeth into the neck of the dark wolf that pounced on her. Her eyes shimmered in the darkness, resembling burning charcoal. Naza was right beside her, grappling with the alpha as they both growled and clashed in their wolf forms, each trying to assert dominance.

Rosaline and Ada stood back to back, fending off the other wolves to create a path for Dion to locate Leila, whose scent was becoming stronger. The brunette's mind raced as she felt Leila's presence drawing nearer.

"Leila!" Dion called out for her name desperately as she sped towards the source of the scent. She broke the neck of the wolf that had tried to stop her and forcefully shattered every door that was obstructing her path to Leila. As she was about to open the last door, she felt a presence lurking behind her. She quickly ducked, narrowly escaping the arrow that had been shot from behind.

Dion swiftly evaded each arrow that was shot at her by the witch. She sped towards her, caught hold of her cloak by the collar and hurled her against the wall, her weapon separated from her. "You lowlife," Dion snarled, approaching the woman swiftly for another attack.

But, the witch was quicker; before Dion could reach her, she strangled her using her power and suspended her in the mid-air without any physical contact. Ada swiftly intervened from behind, trapping the witch under her spell and Dion was dropped on the floor.