Ch 16: Apricity

(The same day)

King Jeroen observed the man in front of him, kneeling down. "Hel seems to particularly take interest in that slave," the spy reported.

The King had been monitoring Hel's activities for several months now. Leila, a human slave, had been regularly visiting her room, and Marylin had confirmed it. She had a daily duty in Hel's chamber after her morning shift.

"What makes you think she has any concern for that human?" inquired the King, his tone carrying a subtle warning that did not go unnoticed by the spy.

The spy was well aware that his life was at stake. He had to ensure his statement was accurate.

Taking a deep breath, he responded, "There are no signs of bite marks on her; I made certain of that. I have been closely observing the human for quite some time. Hel frequently pays her visits and they engage in conversations. It is highly unusual for a vampire to not feed on their slave."

"The old garden shed had been reconstructed to be the human's personal space," he continued, " and Hel instructed for it."

The King hummed, the evidence was building up but he wasn't naive. He needed to make the right move. "Keep an eye on both of them," he ordered, glancing at Hel's guard. The guard acknowledged with a nod and a bow before departing to his post outside Hel's chamber.

The Mahza pack, one of the werewolf packs under King Jeroen, was summoned by the King while Hel and Rosaline were spending time with Naza in the forest, away from the kingdom. The King, in a disrespectful tone, announced, "I have a task for you, mutts."

The Alpha, Mahza, felt a pang of offense at the insult but managed to restrain himself. He knew he was no match for the King. "How may I be of service, your highness?" he inquired.

"Bring me the old witch that lives by the Waycond Mountain," he commanded. The Alpha bowed before leaving with his pack.

.........

The moon had already come out of it's nest as Leila exited the chamber, with Hel following closely behind. The guard noticed the way they both smiled at each other and was convinced of Hel's profound affection for that human.

The King had already set his plan in motion. All he had to do was to seize the right moment to separate Leila from Hel. He observed as they both walked away, and once their voices faded, he proceeded in the direction they had taken.

He trailed the faint remnants of their scents towards the garden. Maintaining a safe distance, he halted and observed Hel and Leila engaged in a conversation in front of the shed, ensuring that his scent remained undetectable to Hel. As he couldn't hear them, he approached to a closer distance.

Leila awkwardly stood before the newly installed doorknob, silently hoping that Hel would not ask about it, and fortunately, she didn't. She stood facing Hel, her gaze fixed at Hel's chest that was at her eye level.

Hel wore a loose crimson shirt that matched her sharp eyes with a pair of black trousers. Her sleeves were folded neatly above her forearms and the first three buttons of her shirt were left undone, exposing the necklace and her collarbone that gleamed in the moonlight.

They stood very close to each other, they could feel each other's breaths. Hel gazed at the woman standing before her, adorned in a flowing gown that revealed her shoulders and arms. She studied the fiery-haired woman intently, committing each of her enchanting features to memory.

Like the changing season, Leila's scent had changed; instead of mild summer, she smelled like autumn and Hel cherished every version of her fragrance.

Leila and Hel exchanged a prolonged gaze, both women mirroring each other's intensity. Shortly after, they averted their eyes at the same time.