Ch 5: A gentle life

Narrator's P.O.V.

The next morning, Dion woke up first. The brunette rubbed her eyes and turned towards the blonde sleeping. As soon as she saw her, she froze.

She could see her dress stained with blood but the thing that shocked her the most, was the amount of fresh bites she had all over her body. Dion suddenly sat up, the sudden movement didn't wake Denise up and she was frightened.

Dion slowly pushed Denise's blonde hair away from her neck and she saw two bite marks on different parts of her neck. Her body was smaller than yesterday and she was paler as well.

This can't be happening, Dion thought, grabbing her own hair in frustration, watching her only friend lying in the bed looking dead. She leaned down and found that the sleeping woman was still breathing. But, she was furious.

Dion was shaking in anger, her grey eyes darkened with rage and she wanted to scream but she held it in, she didn't want to wake Denise up. She couldn't wrap her head around the fact that she had different bite marks all over her body; her arm, her thigh, her neck. She was bitten at the same time, more than once. Four vampires. Dion counted.

"I'm going to kill them," Dion spat in anger, "I'm going to kill them all," she was grabbing tightly on the hem of Denise's dress.

Dion then got out of bed and grabbed the torn shirt she hung to dry. It was still wet so she didn't have to soak it. She approached Denise quietly and started rubbing on her scars softly, not wanting to hurt her.

Eventually, Denise woke up, feeling a sting on her wounds. She was too tired to move or speak.

(Flashback)

While she was serving the King and the others, his brother, Jemiah called her in and forcefully tore her shawl away, exposing her shoulders and arms.

Denise wanted to cry, feeling disgusted with all the stares she was receiving. She wanted to call Dion for help, wishing that somebody would come in and take her away. But, she couldn't. She stood still in the middle of the room, hearing Jemiah chuckling and it made her shrivel in fear.

"Isn't she a beauty?" Jemiah asked the rest of the vampires, who were staring at her greedily, licking their lips and some already got their fangs out.

"Yeah, I'd like a taste of that little girl," one of them chuckled, which made Denise sob. Instead of pity, all she faced was a group of men and women looking at her with sadistic lust. They loved seeing her scared, they loved the smell of fear and it made them feel powerful. Among them, a few shifted in their seats in discomfort but, they wouldn't say anything. They decided to ignore it.

The King just sat there on his seat and dismissed everyone. "Enjoy the night," he spoke, unbothered.

Jemiah smirked and grabbed Denise's ass. The frightened woman tried to move away but, was trapped between the four of them, who surrounded her like predators surrounding a prey.

"Take it somewhere else," the King ordered and waved them off.

Jemiah grabbed Denise's arm forcefully, making the girl wince in pain and he pulled her away from the Dining room. The others followed them both while she pleaded and begged him to let her go.

It was a long and painful night. Denise passed out more than twice due to the amount of abuse she received and blood that was drained from her. She didn't have the strength to run, she couldn't move her legs.

As she laid on the floor, not able to move or even speak, Jemiah bent down and grabbed her hair, "I would love to see how your cellmate reacts," he laughed along with the others. He was a monster. The son of the devil himself.

Jemiah, for his own amusement, loved to abuse Denise. He knew Dion and Denise cared for each other deeply and he loved seeing them in pain. He would torture other human slaves as well but Denise, was his favourite.

Jemiah then called for two of his guards to remove her out of his room. The guards walked in and grimaced at the sight. Even though they weren't a fan of humans, the sight bothered them. It was too much. They grabbed her up gently on each side and dragged her out of the room.

They walked in the cell and saw Dion asleep. They placed Denise down on her bed and walked off after locking the door.

...

Dion placed her hand gently on Denise's pale face shakily. "Are..How ..." Dion couldn't speak. She was heartbroken at the sight. She closed her eyes for a moment, gathering her strength and looked at the woman.
"What happened?"

A tear fell off Denise's eye, followed by a sob. Denise was crying so weakly, she was tired and she wanted to die. She couldn't take it anymore.

Dion couldn't either, she shook her head, her tears falling down uncontrollably, "Did he do this... Is Jemiah one of them? " She asked angrily, staring at the blonde's bloodshot eyes.

The blonde woman barely nodded her head.

"I'm gonna kill him someday, Denise. I'll fucking torture him alive," Dion spat in so much anger, with tears streaming down her cheeks; Denise had never seen her that angry. She gathered up all the strength she needed to raise her hand up to Dion's face and with a weak smile, she sobbed, "Dion, please remember me. I'll never make it to the beach but, you must. You must live. For us. For me."

Dion couldn't believe it. She was stubborn and she couldn't accept it. Both of them knew she was not going to make it and yet, the brunette refused to accept it.

"Please.." Denise sobbed, her hand dropped on the bed. "Take the stone with you. Wherever you go, I'll be with you," Denise cried.

Dion couldn't speak, she felt so helpless, she felt her world breaking down.

Two rooms away, there stood Rosaline. She couldn't listen anymore. She knew how much they cared for each other. And she knew who was responsible; she could smell their dirty scents on the poor woman. She was upset but couldn't do anything so, she walked away not being able to handle the agony. Denise's heartbeat was slowing down and it was becoming faint.

Denise could feel her eyes giving up, she wanted to sleep and she felt the warmth of Dion's hand on her cheek. "Please..hold me," she whispered.

Dion picked her up, carrying her in her arms and she sat down on her bed. She held the woman close to her chest as she stared at her; she looked so peaceful.

Denise's chest stopped moving. Finally, she gave up. Even though she died tragically, she left peacefully in Dion's arms. All she felt in her last moment, was Dion's warmth and, she felt safe finally.

Dion let out a loud scream in pain and everyone heard it;  the guards, the humans. At a distance, Rosaline stood still, hearing the scream and she closed her eyes, praying for Denise. Rest in peace, poor woman. May your next life be a gentle one.