37: Day one

(THE NEXT  WEEK,  A DAY AFTER SCHOOL)

I'm currently standing in front of a huge, too-many-to-count-storied building, waiting, as per the instructions of a certain someone.

Let me give you a hint, the someone has asked me to call them, 'boss'.

He had initially asked me to meet him last week, but Dan abruptly stopped showing up at work. He wasn't picking up the calls, and Daniel was hospitalized, and there wasn't quite anyone else who had any contact with him either.

Or perhaps, it's because Daniel is hospitalized that he might have felt like taking some time off, to figure things out. They were living together; he must feel worried. Still, it would've been better if he'd mentioned something before he left.

So because of this, I had to fill in for him, last week. And the manager found someone else later, so I was freed.

I got called "boss", and so here I am, feeling awkward and out-of-place, waiting outside a pish-posh building like this without actually entering.

In another five minutes, I got a text from Mr. Kim Joongoo, that said, "Come over to the parking area." I followed the sign boards and reached there, and I found Mr. Kim standing in front of a crazily expensive-looking (obviously) and rather gaudy vehicle (I didn't even know Bentley had a green model).

He was smoking. I unconsciously scrunched my nose. He seemed to have noticed this, but took another puff before he threw it away. He motioned for me to get in the car. 

'Of course we're going somewhere else, all the waiting I did till now simply wasn't enough.'

_______________

An abandoned-looking structure was where he stopped. Not exactly a house; most of it didn't have a roof, and there was quite a lot of stuff thrown around when we entered. The walls were dirtied, and there was a large mirror—and by large, I mean an enormous mirror—that dominated the wall and reflected the space with its mirrored surface.

He went to open the cupboard that was located at one corner of the hall-like, ground-like-room and I went closer to the mirror, out of pure curiosity as to how such a large mirror could be fitted to a wall like that. I examined the edge of the wall to see that the glass was embedded into the cement rather than being joined to it at a later time.

'I wonder who made this, and why they did. It's custom made for sure, but for what purpose?'

As I was looking into the mirror standing next to the wall, I could see "boss" taking a bunch of stuff out of the cupboard and placing it on a table. Ropes, knives, 'is that a Katana?-' along with some random items like a bowl, chopsticks, and a baseball.

Just then I saw in the reflection of the wall on the mirror, that the dirt and the other substances on the wall formed rough shapes on the wall, almost like paintings.

I looked away from the mirror and directly at the wall to take a look at them. It took me a few seconds before I felt my body tense up—there are traces of blood mixed with the dirt that formed those patterns on the wall.

"Let's get started, shall we?" I heard him ask from behind me.

____________

He gave me a quick rundown of vital spots in the human body, and where to "strike" to "finish them off."

"You'll learn more through practice, come over here." He called me to the table.

"How many weapons do you see here?". He asked.

'That definitely sounds like a trick question. What kind of answer is he expecting?' 

After a moment of hesitation, I started pointing at the, well, things that looked like weapons to me while saying, "Those sharp objects, the rope, and actually the table too if the legs could be... uh... detached from the table and taken apart...?"

He looked at me with a look that neither indicated I said something right nor wrong. He then gave me a follow-up question: "What exactly is a weapon?"

"An object... that is crafted to cause injuries to someone or to restrain them."

Now, he chuckled. 

"An object is anything that can be used to take down your opponent."

'Oh.'

The way he emphasized 'anything' surely meant something, right?

__________

"That's it for today. Practice what we did today.

When are you free again?" He asked.

"Next weekend? I have exams this week." That's right, school's still a thing. I seem to be forgetting that quite often these days.

"Okay. Text me when you're free. Come on, I'll drop you off. Also, don't come here alone."

"Okay." 'I don't know the way here anyway...'

I would've liked to add something else, but then I thought I'd put it in another chapter. I'll post for sure tomorrow. It felt a bit weird posting after so long, but it also feels nice.

Thanks for reading:)