Burn Pt.2

San's mind felt like a foggy haze, the remnants of unconsciousness clinging to his thoughts like cobwebs. As he blinked his eyes open, the harsh glare of the hospital lights assaulted his senses, sending a sharp pang of pain ricocheting through his skull. He winced, a heavy headache weighing him down like an anchor, threatening to drag him back into the abyss of unconsciousness.

Through the haze of pain and confusion, San slowly became aware of his surroundings. He was lying in a hospital bed, the sterile scent of antiseptic filling his nostrils as he struggled to focus his blurry vision. Tubes and wires snaked their way across his body, connecting him to various machines that beeped and hummed with a rhythmic cadence.

As his heart rate spiked, a nurse rushed into the room, her face a mask of concern as she hurried to his bedside. She checked his vitals, her movements quick and efficient as she assessed his condition. Moments later, a doctor entered the room, his expression grave as he approached San's bed.

"Mr. Choi, you're awake," the doctor said, his voice calm but tinged with a hint of urgency. "I'm Dr. Park. You were involved in a plane crash. Do you remember anything?"

San's mind reeled at the doctor's words, the reality of the situation crashing down on him like a ton of bricks. A plane crash? How was that possible? He struggled to recall the events leading up to his hospitalization, but all he could remember was a blinding flash of light and the sensation of being thrown through the air like a ragdoll.

The doctor's words washed over him in a blur as he explained the details of the crash: the fire that had engulfed the plane, the explosion that followed, the chaos and panic that ensued. San's heart clenched with fear and disbelief as he processed the enormity of what had happened.

"And my family?" San managed to croak, his voice barely above a whisper as he fought to keep his emotions in check.

The doctor's expression softened, sympathy shining in his eyes as he delivered the devastating news. "I'm sorry, Mr. Choi. Your family... they didn't make it. You're the only survivor."

A wave of anguish crashed over San, threatening to engulf him in its depths as he struggled to come to terms with the enormity of his loss. Tears welled up in his eyes, blurring his vision even further as he grappled with the crushing weight of grief and despair.

As the doctor and nurse hovered nearby, offering words of comfort and support, San felt like he was drowning in a sea of sorrow.

San's heart raced with a mix of hope and dread as he struggled to form the words, his voice trembling with emotion. "What about Yuqi? Is she... is she okay? And her family?"

The doctor exchanged a somber glance with the nurse before turning back to San, his expression sympathetic. "We'll check for you, Mr. Choi. Just try to stay calm."

San's breath came in ragged gasps as he awaited the nurse's return. Every second felt like an eternity as he battled the torrent of emotions raging within him. When the nurse finally returned with news of Yuqi's whereabouts, San's world seemed to tilt on its axis.

"Yes, we have a patient named Yuqi," the nurse confirmed, her voice gentle but tinged with concern. "But I'm afraid she's in critical condition."

A strangled cry escaped San's lips as he felt the ground give way beneath him. His vision swam with tears as he struggled to process the devastating news.

The nurse moved quickly, injecting a sedative into San's IV line to help calm his trembling body. As the medication took effect, a heavy fog descended over his mind, dulling the sharp edges of his emotions and numbing the ache in his heart.