43.

You two were silently walking home as you held a grudge against him for not being transparent with you. A few miutes later, taking the same way back home, you two enter an alley which didn't seem the same just a couple hours ago.

The alley that was dead quiet a few hours ago had turned into party central. Everywhere you looked, there were college students having the time of their lives—some were way too drunk, stumbling around; others were too busy making out to care about the world. It was a complete 180 from the silence that had greeted you earlier.

Walking through this chaos, Jungkook subtly slowed down, signaling you to stay close. He wasn't making a big deal out of it, but you could tell he was on a alert now, a stark change from his strange vibe earlier.

As his eyes quickly scanned the crowd, he leaned in slightly and said in a low, steady voice, "Don't stop no matter who tries to talk to you." It was a simple request, but the way he said it, keeping his eyes on certain faces in the crowd, made it clear he was serious. You got the vibe that he spotted a few people he knew but wasn't exactly thrilled to see.

His protective stance was reassuring in the wildness of the night, making you feel a bit more secure as you both navigated through the partying crowd.

As the night air filled with the echoes of revelry, the sudden shout of "Yah, Jungkook-ah!" sliced through the cacophony, causing Jungkook's body to tense. In an instinctive move, he reached out, his hand finding your elbow, pulling you slightly closer—a silent promise of protection in the unpredictable sea of people.

The tension in his posture eased as a group emerged from the throng, beer bottles in hand, their faces breaking into wide, familiar smiles. "Mingyu," Jungkook exhaled, a sigh of relief replacing the momentary alertness in his eyes. The recognition sparked a light in his gaze; these weren't strangers to be wary of but friends he held dear.

"What the fuck dude, where the fuck did you disappear?—" Mingyu's voice trailed off as his eyes landed on you, a flicker of recognition sparking. "Oh shit, isn't this Y/N?" he asked, his surprise evident as the rest of the group closed in, curiosity mixed with the excitement of reunion in their eyes.

"Yeah—" Jungkook began, only to be drowned out by the chorus of cheers and calls of his name, as the group enveloped him in a whirlwind of hugs and pats on the back. The sudden surge of bodies pushed you slightly to the fringes, the physical distance mirroring a momentary emotional one as Jungkook was momentarily swept away by the reunion.

Just then, in between the laughter and the jostling, a subtle vibration in your pocket tugged at your attention. Extracting your phone, the screen lit up with a name that sliced through the moment's disarray: Ahn BoHyun.

Caught in the whirlwind of the night's emotions, the unexpected call from BoHyun sends a ripple of unease through you. The memory of that unreciprocated kiss, a moment of vulnerability with your boss, weighs heavily on you as you swiftly dismissed the call, only for it to insistently light up again. Ignoring the second call, your pulse quickened, a blend of anticipation and dread knotting in your stomach.

Raising your eyes in search of Jungkook, the crowd seemed to swallow him whole, leaving you momentarily adrift in a sea of strangers. It was a battle to find him in the crowd until one familiar pair of eyes locks onto yours.

"Yeobin-ssi," the name slips from your lips, a quiet acknowledgment of his presence.

Given the recent situation involving his brother, engaging with Yeobin seems fraught with complications. Yet, you watch him as him mutter your name and watch him slowly make his way towards you, phone in hand to his ear and eyes fixed on yours, the urgency in his voice is unmistakable. "Y/N"