THIRTY-SIX

The night was draped in a somber hue as Milica, fueled by desperation and a determination to salvage what remained of her relationship with Dominik, found herself standing outside his home. The once-familiar place now felt foreign, shrouded in the echoes of betrayal and misunderstanding.

Taking a deep breath, Milica approached the front door, her heart pounding with a mixture of apprehension and resolve. She hesitated for a moment before finally knocking, the sound echoing through the quiet night.

Seconds stretched into an eternity before the door swung open, revealing Dominik's disheveled appearance. His eyes, once filled with warmth and affection, now bore the weight of anger and hurt.

"What are you doing here?" Dominik's voice, laced with a mixture of bitterness and disbelief, cut through the silence.

Tears welled up in Milica's eyes as she met his gaze. "Dom, please, let me explain. That photo isn't me. I would never betray you like that."

Dominik scoffed, crossing his arms defensively. "Explain? After what you did? What's there to explain?"

Milica took a step closer, her voice desperate. "I didn't do anything, Dominik. I love you. I'm here to fight for us, for what we had."

A bitter laugh escaped Dominik's lips. "Fight? There's nothing left to fight for. You broke my trust, Milica. You shattered everything we had."

Tears streamed down Milica's cheeks as she pleaded, "I didn't break your trust. Please, just listen to me. Let me show you that I would never betray you."

Dominik's expression remained hardened, the pain in his eyes mixing with the anger. "Show me? How? You've already shown enough. Leave, Milica. There's nothing left for you here."

Milica, devastated and broken, refused to give up. "I won't leave, Dominik. I love you, and I won't let a lie tear us apart. Please, just give me a chance to prove myself."

Dominik's jaw tightened, his resolve seemingly unyielding. "There's nothing left to prove. Go."

The door slammed shut, leaving Milica standing on the doorstep, her pleas lingering in the air. The night swallowed her sobs as she grappled with the harsh reality that the love she held so dear was slipping away, slipping through the cracks of a relationship fractured by lies and shadows.

As the echoes of desperation reverberated through the silent night, Milica faced the daunting truth that the road ahead was uncertain—a road fraught with pain, doubt, and the haunting shadows of a love on the verge of collapse.