Office Talk

Professor Riddle's office was sleek and simple. Tall black bookshelves covered wall to wall that were stacked with books that looked ancient and some looked like famous muggle books. Since when did he associate himself with muggle items?

In the centre of the room, was a dark wooden desk with a cushioned black chair that you assumed was Tom's. On the other side of desk, where two wooden chairs slightly lighter than the wood of his desk. 

You took a seat in one of the wooden chairs then waited for Tom.

It had now been almost like 10 minutes and Tom had still not come into his office. You were wondering where he had got to. Surely, it couldn't of taken this long for him to sort everything out.

*****

(Tom's pov)

I am trying to build up the courage to go in my office and talk to her but it is taking a while to get there.

I arranged this now I have to go through with it.

I have her attention but now I need to find a way to keep it.

Okay, man up Tom. You can do this. Go get your girl. 

I stand up and walk into my office.

*****

(Y/n's pov)

Finally, Tom enters his office and goes and sits in the cushioned black chair opposite me. He doesn't look serious like he had every time I see him in lessons. He looked relaxed almost tired. 

"So Y/n how have you been all of these years since I've last seen you?" Tom asked rolling up the arms of his black shirt revealing his tattooed arms.

You were nervous but wanted to see where this is going. 

"It's been alright. My family is still just as messed up as usual." You replied.

"Well, the black family was never one for being intact." Tom nods his head.

There's some tension in the air. You could feel it. But he was still your professor at the moment you guys were just both talking like good friends which you had been before he started teaching.

"So what made you want to come back here to teach?" It was a question you really didn't know the answer to but you were just trying to keep the conversation going whilst trying to discover more about this mysterious and secretive man.

Tom looked lost in thought for a little bit. "I'm not too sure honestly, I just needed something to do. Plus I honestly wanted to look out for Mattheo. He is my only family left."

As much as you wanted to feel for Tom, you knew his family history and how he killed his father after his mother had died. 

"What are your plans after you leave here?" Tom seems almost too genuinely curious.

You hadn't given it much thought but the magic world seemed like a bit too much and too dangerous for your liking so you'd rather do something in the muggle world. 

"Maybe I would like to erm, own a bookshop in the muggle world. Something small and simple plus I love reading so it isn't a terrible idea." You repeat your thoughts to Tom. 

*****

(Tom's pov)

I can understand her logic. As an adult, the entirety of the magic world get a whole lot more dangerous. That's why many choose to leave it as soon as they can.

But if she, if Y/n leaves the magic world, she'll be leaving me behind and she will also be in a world I'm not welcome in. I won't be able to see her.

There's my common sense coming back. I can't start anything with her not when it'll leave me with new and feelings I don't want to feel when I have to watch her leave one day soon. So I'll try to stay away. Try to keep my distance.

But she really just doesn't make it easy for me.

"I best be going sir but maybe we could catch up again sometime." Y/n stands going to leave.

"Wait in here any time you want to catch up just make sure I see you so I know that you are in here." I say with a weak smile.

Ouch.

She leaves closing the door behind her.

After all we have done together over the years, she still calls me sir. Not Tom. She's the only person I love hearing say my name. But no to her I'm just sir.

At least I get to see more of her. 

I just can't get attached.

But.....

....I think it may already be a bit too late for that.....