Yearbook Club (2020)

Throughout that week me and June would text each other and catch each other up, it would mainly just be her telling me everything she has found out about this town. Like Wednesday June was telling me about her meeting Maggie Leonard, she was telling me that she thought they would be good friends. Even though I disagreed, I just changed the subject. Maggie was a popular girl that was surrounded by drama, I didn't want that for June.

I'm at the diner with June now waiting for the yearbook club to show up, not really much of a club when it's only three people. But we still like to meet after school to feel important, it consisted of two guys and one girl who recently joined. Me and June have been here for 30 minutes, and I've been trying to convince her to join.

"Come on please, What else do you have to do? It'll be fun, we get into all the games for free." I say trying to persuade her.

"I'll think about it Henry but Maggie suggested that I should start hanging out sometimes with her and Vic after school. She was also telling me about some clubs and stuff she was in..." June says while playing with her food, trying to avoid eye contact.

Before I can make a good argument to June, Isaac and Debbie walk in the diner at the same time, "About time you two showed up, where were you two?" I ask.

"Uh not together that's for sure, I was just running late cause my mom." Debbie explains nervously

"My bad man, I was with my girlfriend and lost track of time." Issac said.

We started talking about plans for the yearbook and showing each other pictures that we've taken over the past month. It was really just me and Isaac showing our pictures, Debbie didn't take a whole lot. I looked over and saw that June looked out of her mind bored. I felt bad so I offered to give her a ride home, she declined and excused herself to the restroom.

"So you and June huh?" Isaac said, nudging me in my side.

"What about it?" I asked embarrassed.

"So are you guys like a thing? Yall have been hanging out ever since she came down here." He says while giving me a jokingly smirk.

"Oh, nawl man, we're just friends. She hasn't really met everyone yet, so I've been showing her the ropes." I say while rubbing the back of my neck, still embarrassed. I looked over and Debbie was looking at me but quickly looked down and started playing with her fries. I looked around the booth to try and find June, she went to the bathroom over 10 minutes ago.

"I'm going to go check on June. I'll be right back." I say while getting up. I make my way down to the restrooms passing all the tables and booths, when I hear June laughing. I turned around and saw her sitting there with Maggie and her friends. She caught me staring at her and started to get up, before she could get all the way out of the booth I turned around and went back to my seat.

"Hey Henry, wait up!" She yelled while jogging to catch up with me. I ignore her and keep walking, I'd be lying if I said she didn't hurt my feelings.

"Henry! Would you stop!" She said, I could hear the aggravation in her voice.

I reached the booth and saw that Isaac and Debbie were packing up their things, so I joined them and started cleaning up. June reached our booth and just stood behind me while I packed my things up, she could tell I was aggravated. Even though she didn't know why, she didn't push it. Debbie finished putting her things up before me and Isaac, she didn't have a lot of things to begin with anyway. She was ready to go, but she waited for everyone else .

Isaac finished packing, "Well, I'll see y'all later. Nice meeting you June!" Before he left he shook June's hand and gave Debbie a small smile.

"Well I guess we should get going too, you need a ride Debbie?" I ask.

"Umm my mom is on her way, thanks a lot though Henry! I really appreciate the offer!" She said while hugging herself with her cardigan. She looked up and gave me a blushing smile.

"Well alright Debbie, see you later!" I say waving goodbye and holding the door open to let June pass through.

"So are you gonna tell me why you're mad at me? Or are we just gonna walk in silence?" June asks, trying to give me that goofy smile of hers.

"Look June I'm not mad... It just hurt my feelings when you left me to go hang out with Maggie and her friends." I said pressing the unlock button to my old pickup truck.

"Is that what made you mad? Henry, I'm sorry! Look I only left because I didn't understand what you guys were talking about and your little girlfriend was eyeing me down." June says laughing.

We finally reach my truck and I go to open her door while saying, "Girlfriend? What are you talking about June?" I laugh and close the door behind her. I open my door and climb in, I look over at June and she's waiting for me to pick up where I left off. "If you're talking about Debbie, you've seriously lost it! Like honestly June do you feel alright?" I say while playfully checking her temperature by pressing the back of my hand to her forehead.

"Come on Henry, are you that clueless? She is totally into you, how can you not tell?" She says while pushing my hand away.

"The real question is why do you think she's into me?" I ask while cranking up my truck, and pulling off.

"Well first she comes in and feels the need to defend herself when you ask where she's been. She wants her little henry to know that she was with her mom and not Isaac." June says while putting up one of her fingers.

"Then while you and Isaac are doing all the work, she's just sitting there watching you and giving me death stares whenever you talk to me." June puts another finger up."And when we were leaving she basically melted into a puddle when you offered her a ride." She said, adding a finger up.

"Plus it's like she only joined the yearbook club for you, I mean she didn't do any work tonight." She laughed, and added a finger. Looking at the four fingers she put in the air, She started waving them around my head.

"See this Henry, It's four good reasons why she is your girlfriend." She said giggling, still waving her fingers around.

"Would you stop, I'm driving here, and believe me nothing is ever going to happen between me and Debbie! I barely know the girl." I say while grabbing her hand and tossing it back to her side of the truck. She agreed to disagree and we started talking about different things. I pulled into June's driveway and looked over at June, I knew she hated this part. She never liked coming home, she didn't like seeing her mom sick. I got out of my truck and went around to open June's door, "Come on June, we can't sit here too long your mom and aunt will get suspicious." I say giving her a goofy smirk.

"Oh yeah, I wouldn't want them getting the wrong idea." She says jumping out of the truck and turning to grab her bag. "Thanks for the ride Henry! Maybe we can hang out again tomorrow?"

"Sure, I'm free whenever." I answer while still holding onto the door.

"Okay, I'll text you. Bye Henry!" June says walking to her front door, She turns around and waves giving me that beautiful smile of hers.