Forever? (3 Years Later)

I look in the mirror, checking my outfit. Today was the day. I felt for the box in my pocket. My hands were already sweating. I can't believe I was doing this. I take the box out and open it. I'm staring at June's mom's wedding ring. I was going to ask June to be my wife today.

I've been dating her for two years now. It started when she kissed me randomly one day. After that she just started calling me her boyfriend. I didn't mind. I've wanted to be with her since sophomore year. I also officially moved into Aunt Em's house two years ago. I took over the spare bedroom since June's mom wasn't here anymore. We only grew closer from there.

We hardly ever leave each other's side. I enjoy it. June's personality is coming back little by little. Of course she has her bad days, but I'm willing to take those on to be with her.

I hear June's footsteps and quickly shove the box back into my pocket. I turn around and see June just now getting into eyesight. She's wearing a blue sundress.

Once she's in the room she walks over to me and wraps me in a hug, "Maggie told me I had to wear this." June complains.

"What? Why?" I ask, even though I know the answer. I asked Maggie to get June to wear something nice today. I knew she wouldn't want her engagement pictures to be in shorts and a tank top.

"She said this dress was too cute to never be worn, she basically begged me to wear it today. I agreed so she'd stop pouting." June says, giggling.

"Well you do look cute." I say, pulling her back and placing a kiss on her lips.

"You have to say that! We're dating!" June says, smiling big.

"You're right, but it's still cute." I say. June rolls her eyes with a smirk. "We should get going."

June pulls away, "beat you to the truck!" June says, taking off.

I run after her, "No fair! You were distracting me!" I yell when she reaches the truck first.

"Hate the player, not the game!" June says, getting into the truck.

I roll my eyes and walk to the driver's seat. When I get in June is smiling from her win. The ring in my pocket comes to the front of my mind. I was ready to spend the rest of my life with June and play all her little games.

We pull up to the lake and June jumps out the truck, "it's so pretty out today!"

I go to the back and start getting the fishing rods out, "Yeah it is." I say, looking at June. We both go to the end of the dock and take a seat.

"Bait me!" June says, dangling her hook in front of me.

I put a worm on it and get my pole all set up. Once they're both in the water we sit and wait. I stare at the water and think about me throwing June in that one time. The memory makes me laugh and June looks over.

"What?" June asks, smiling.

"I was just thinking about that time I threw you into the water." I answer.

"Don't forget about the part where I pulled you in!" June says.

"How could I? The ride back was awful in soaked clothes!" We both laugh and June lays her head on my shoulder.

It's been thirty minutes and June has only caught one fish. It was a small one, so we threw it back. So much for a fish fry to celebrate tonight. That is if she says yes. I really hope she does. I've been waiting for this moment all my life, and if I'm turned down that would be awkward.

"You think we should go?" June asks twenty minutes later. I pull out my phone and text Maggie. She's been waiting not too far, so she can take pictures of the whole thing.

I guess it's now or never, "Yeah, can I tell you something first?" I ask.

June looks at me confused, "of course."

I swallow and wipe my hands on my pants. I should just get this over with. If she says yes then yay, and if she says no oh well. "June, I love you. I've loved you ever since the day I met you. When I thought I had lost you I was a wreck, but then I found you again!" I say, standing up and taking June's hand. She stands up too. "I'm saying all this to say... well..." I get down on one knee and get the box from my pocket. June's eyes go wide, and she puts her hand over her mouth in shock. "Will you marry me?" I ask.

June starts nodding her head yes, "Henry of course! Yes! A million times yes!" I shakily put the ring on her finger. June pulls me up and crashes her lips on mine. I see a flash in that moment. Me and June separate and I look over to see Maggie. She is smiling with a camera. June rushes over.

"Maggie? You knew?" June asks, beaming.

"Yes! Why do you think I made you wear that dress?" Maggie says. June's only response is hugging her and laughing. We stay and take a lot more pictures.

When June and I make it back Aunt Em is setting the table. She looks over at us and notices the ring on June's finger. "She said yes?" June laughs and runs over to Aunt Em, wrapping her in a hug.

"Of course I said yes!" June says.

"How could she resist?" I say.

June rolls her eyes, "don't get cocky now."

"You love my sass!" I say, taking a seat at the table.

"Whatever!" June says, taking her seat beside me.

"You two hush!" Aunt Em says, "you argue like a married couple."

"Well..." I say, looking at June who bursts out in laughter.