Know Your Place (2020)

Isaac and I have started going to the football games, we needed the yearbook content, and it was kind of fun hanging out with everyone. Thanksgiving break has started, and we haven't hung out, I was thinking about asking June later if they wanted to catch a movie.

I walk out of my room and the smell of pumpkin spice hits me. My mom is in the kitchen baking and has a candle in almost every room. She's been cooking since last night, her and my grandma make all the food and everyone else just eats it. My mom always gets a little nervous when we go over to my grandmas, she doesn't really like my dad.

"It smells great in here mama! Got any food I need to taste test?" I say leaning over the counter.

"I made a chocolate pie last night, but I didn't really like how it turned out. You can have it if you like it though sweetie." She said, pointing to the refrigerator.

I opened it up and put a slice on a plate, it looked just fine to me. I took a bite, and it was delicious. "Mama this is good! Are you sure I can have it?"

"I'm glad it's good, and yeah you can have it." She said while mixing some batter.

I started snooping around some other dishes she's made, "Anything else mama?"

"Henry." She said while popping my hand, "Just get out of here boy before you drive me crazy." She says giggling.

I laugh and walk out of the kitchen, just when I sat on the couch Maggie text me. What could Maggie want, she never texts me. "Henry, June told me to let you know that her mom is in the hospital. She got admitted last night, she hasn't had time to tell you, but she wants to see you."

Oh my gosh, Ms.Amanda is in the hospital, she's been sick for a while. I need to get to the hospital, I can't imagine what June is going through.

"Mama, I got to go June's moms in the hospital." I said headed out the door.

"Okay sweetie I love you!" My mom screams out as I shut the door.

I pull into the hospital and go straight to the front desk. "Amanda Layton? Is she here?"

"Yes she's here, only family is allowed to visit at the moment. Are you family?" The young nurse asked.

"Yes, he is." June says walking fast to me. I could tell by her voice that she had been crying, and her eyes looked raw from the tears.

"Oh my Gosh Henry, thank you for being here!" June says, hugging me and burying her face into my chest.

"Of course June, what happened?" I ask, trying to comfort her.

"I don't know it just happened so fast Henry. Me and Aunt Em were downstairs playing cards. I walked in her room to tell her goodnight and she was unconscious... I thought she was dead Henry." June was breaking down in my arms. I couldn't imagine walking in and seeing my mom like that.

"June it's okay, she's going to be okay." I say rubbing her hair, I didn't know how to comfort her.

"If I had found her sooner... Maybe if I was up there when it happened... Or if she was with us downstairs, she told us she didn't feel well. We should've been up there with her!" June cries while blaming herself.

"No June! You don't get to blame yourself! The important part is You found her. Okay? You found her and brought her here and she's getting help. She's not dead! And She's not going to die!" I pull June back to look at her, "Okay June?"

"Okay Henry." June says, wiping her tears.

June and I walked to her mom's room, we just sat in silence watching Ms.Amanda and listening to her heart monitor. I hated that June was blaming herself! I can't help turning my gaze to June, even in her lowest moment she's the most beautiful girl I know.

June joined me in the one loveseat that was in the room. We ended up dozing off, her head in my chest. The sound of a soft familiar voice wakes us both, "June?"

"Mama? Are you okay?" June says, jumping to her bedside.

"I'm alright Junebug, I'm just exhausted. That's all, why are we in the hospital." Ms.Amanda asked, looking around.

¨You passed out mama, you really scared me!¨ June said, hugging her mom.

I get up and join June, "I'm glad you're okay Ms.Amanda!" I say while pressing the nurse's button on the wall.

"It's so good to see you again Henry. It's been so long, too long!" Just as she said that two nurses came in.

It was getting a little crowded, so June and I stepped out. We decided to sit in the waiting room until they were finished. We were sitting for about five minutes before June's friends showed up. They all hugged her and started asking questions, everyone seemed so concerned. Well, everyone but Victoria, she never really showed a lot of emotion though.

"Are you okay June? How's your mom?" Maggie asked hugging June, everyone else waited for her answer.

"She's okay, she actually just woke up. The nurses are checking her now." June answered.

"Sorry I wasn't here sooner, baby, I had to work." Jalen says.

"It's okay, I'm just glad Henry showed up! I was breaking down." June says, grabbing my hand and smiling.

"Yeah, thanks Henry!" Jalen says smiling and patting me on my back.

Ten minutes later, the nurses walked out of Ms.Amanda's room. June got up and everyone followed. "Wait, the room isn't that big, so two at a time, okay? Come on Henry." June says, grabbing my hand and leading me.

I walked in the room and Ms.Amanda was sitting up on the bed. "Honey I'm starving, can you go get me a sneaker or something from the vending machine?"

"I'll go get it; you stay here June." I say, giving both of them a smile.

I walk out of the room and head down the hallway to get the snacks. Passing the waiting room I only saw Jalen and Maggie sitting there. They were in deep conversation, so they didn't see me walk by the first time. On my way back I had a handful of different snacks, Jalen saw me this time and stood up meeting me.

"What are you playing at Dawton?" Jalen said, getting in my face.

"What are you talking about Jalen? I'm getting snacks for June's mom." I answered, trying to step around him.

He stepped with me, "You need to Know your place, Dawton! June is my girl, and you think you can just come in here and take advantage of her. I'm not going to let that happen!" He says, stepping closer.

I take a step back, "I'm not taking advantage of her, I actually care about June. Why can't we both just be there for her?" I say, I thought Jalen had changed these past few months.

"I guess June was right! You really are an annoying love-struck puppy! I can handle it from here!" Jalen says, taking the snacks out of my arms.

What Jalen said hurt, did June really say that? ¨Well I guess I was right about you. You're nothing but a bully, whose dad is a complete drunk! Is that why you act like that Jalen? Not getting enough love at home?" I say, I wanted to hurt him like he had hurt me.

Jalen drops the snacks and tries to grab me, just as he reaches out Maggie steps in between. They stare at each other and then she turns to me, ¨I think it's best if you just leave Henry! Goodness, June's mom is sick and you're trying to fight? Leave, GO!" She yells.

Here I was thinking that maybe these people changed, but no! They are still the same old bullies they've always been.