Where It All Started

Thank you for reading our book! If you like this, how would you like to be in Debbie's mind? Read our second book, ¨Debbie's Massacre¨

Here's a sneak peak:

My mother told me last night that we were going to church, so here I am sitting on her bed while she braids my hair.

"After I finish you go put on that beautiful new dress we just bought. Okay?" My mother says.

"Okay mama."

After she finished I ran to my room to go get ready. As I'm looking at myself in the mirror, I hope she approves of the shoes I picked out. My aunt bought them for me last week, they have a one inch heel.

I walk out of my room and my mother seems to be waiting on me. She's sitting in her rocking chair and drinking her coffee, "I knew you would look beautiful! Sweetie you look gorg-" I wondered why she stopped when I realized she's looking at my shoes.

"Oh no sweetie. Where did you find those shoes? Those are not shoes that sweet christian little girls wear. Those are shoes only Satan will approve of, Now Take Them Off NOW!" My mother shouts.

"But mama, Aunt Mav bought them for me. And I-" I say, before she interrupts me.

"I DON'T CARE! You know what, we don't have time for this! We're going to be late for church because you want to look like a hooker. Go wait in the van, I'll grab you some shoes!" My mother says, storming off to my room.

I do just as she says and head to the van. I climb up into my seat and wipe the tears that have fallen. I don't know why I still cry when my mother has her outburst, it's been like this my whole life.

My mother opens her door and sits in the driver's seat. She turns around looking back at me, and then down at the heels I had on.

"I thought I told you to take those off!" She spits out.

I quickly kick them off, and wait for her next move.

"Here. Now put these on!" My mother says, throwing the shoes at me. They were little white flats, but it still hurt when they hit me in the stomach.

We finally pull into the church parking lot, and there's still many people talking at the door. My mother looks at herself in the mirror, and then fixes her lipstick.

"Come on! You made us late!" She says, snatching the door open.

When we finally make it in, it's like her whole personality changes. We pass by and greet a couple of families, and she makes sure to speak to all the ladies in her women's group of Christ. She was one of the important women in the church. It was her, the preacher's wife, and some other lady.

They all normally sit with one another in the front pew, and their families sit behind them. Normally I'm the only one back there, but today there's a boy sitting in my seat. We reach the pew and my mother pushes me into mine and then walks around and talks to her church friends.

"Hey I'm Henry. What's your name?" He asked.

"Debbie." I whisper. I was always a little shy but Henry only made it worse. I'm home schooled so I never really talked to any boys before, let alone sat by one that wasn't family.

"Nice to meet you Debbie. I don't think I've met you before, do we go to the same school?" Henry asks.

"Umm no, I'm actually home schooled. But my mother says she thinks I'm ready for real school. So I might start next year." I say. My mother didn't want me to get bullied like she did in school, but my aunt has been trying to persuade her.

"Oh cool. Maybe you can hang out with me, I can show you around and keep you safe. Like a hero." Henry laughs.

"What about you? I haven't seen you here before. But I always see your mom." I say, I haven't looked up from my lap.

"Oh I normally stay with my dad at home. But he's starting this new job and he's never home." Henry says. I peek up and see that Henry's face has dropped, talking about his dad must hurt his feelings.

The preacher starts talking, and everyone finds their seats. Henry's mom turned around and gave us both a smile. My mother turned around but only gave me a scolding look, I better start paying attention.

Throughout the whole service I could only think about Henry. He was the first person that ever treated me normal, I think I've fallen for him.