What Are You Doing Here? (2023)

I tap the message icon on June's chirp account. It's flooded with people asking where she is. Who should I look into first? I look through a few of the messages and it's just random people from school asking where she is. There was no answer of course.

I get to Penny's messages and look through them. The latest ones are worried, asking June to please respond. As I go up further it's nothing unusual still. I stop scrolling.

Junebug20: Penny I don't know what to do

Pennytheflower: What's wrong?

Junebug20: This picture of me and him got out. Well, it hasn't yet, but someone made it clear they know.

Pennytheflower: WHAT? Omg, do you know who?

Junebug20: no...

I read the rest, but it's just them freaking out. Why didn't I see it before? Penny might be the one who did that at the memorial. I know in the messages June is going to Penny for comfort, but that means Penny knew about the picture all along. Penny is the only one who would've had it. What would her motive be? My brain goes back to Victoria. Victoria has a motive, but Penny has the resources to pull it off. This is also the first time Penny's even been up for one of June's memorials. It took two years for her to show up. Was she jealous of June just like Victoria?

I take another page out of my notebook and write Penny's name. Under it I write "she knew about June and her teacher". I tape it beside Victoria's name. Could- no that would be impossible. But what if... I take a piece of ribbon out of my drawer. I cut off about a foot and tape one end to Victoria and the other to Penny. Could they have worked together? Penny would've had the picture, scaring June. Victoria was here and had the opportunity to do something that June night.

Trying to get information on Penny would be hard, but if they really did work together, following the clues to Victoria should also lead me to Penny. Plus, I have more evidence on Victoria. The already bubbling feud and evidence of an argument that night. I need to get more. The only person I can ask is Maggie, and we didn't leave off on great terms last time we talked. I'm going to have to put my pride aside and message her.

I take my phone out of my pocket and go to Maggie's contact.

"Hey, I have some more questions. You think we could meet?"

It takes Maggie about ten minutes to reply, my nerves growing every second.

"I guess. The park at 3."

I know the only reason she agrees is because of the picture, but that doesn't bother me. I look down and check the time, 2:23 p.m. I should probably head out now.

I look up at the empty park. A few years ago, kids would be running around everywhere, but they built a bigger one three months ago. Everyone always moves on. The irony dons on me. Here I am, sitting in an old park, looking into an old case. Should I move on? June has taken over my every thought. It's been that way since I met her though.

Maggie pulls up in her car and... Who's that in her car? I roll my eyes when I recognize them. I can notice that pitch black hair from anywhere, Jalen.

I get out my truck and wait for them to walk over. They do and we stand silent for a few moments before I break it.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, nodding my head toward Jalen.

"Worry about yourself, Dawton." Jalen responds, crossing his arms.

"Play nice boys." Maggie says, stepping in front of Jalen.

I roll my eyes, "I'm not the one you have to worry about."

Jalen just rolls his eyes, "let's just cut to the chase, what do you want?"