New Person In Town (2023)

I couldn't go to sleep. Every time I shut my eyes the threat was all I could see. What did this person mean "you'll have your chance soon". Were they going to kill me? Where was the person who was helping me in the beginning? What if that person is the one sending threats now. Maybe they wanted to stir the pot and kill more by getting me involved.

I get on my phone and pull up Chirp. I hardly ever get on this thing, but I need a distraction. Before I realize what I'm doing, June's page is in front of me. Why do I always go to her in times of trouble? I can't let myself do this anymore. It's what got me here in the first place. I go to click exit when I stop, what would one post hurt? I click her most recent post. It was a few days before she went missing.

It's June at the park swinging. The caption is "I've always wanted to fly." This makes me laugh because she really did want to fly. She once told me her favorite animal was a bird because they could get up and leave whenever they wanted. I continue the scroll, the majority of her posts are filled with random pictures from school and places around town. I keep scrolling then stop. June had posted a picture of me and her at the lake. The caption is "With my fav person." I bite the inside of my cheek to stop any tears. I miss her so much.

I gave up looking on Chirp an hour ago. I've been sitting here dozing in and out of sleep. I check my phone after I doze out once again, and it's 6 a.m. I guess I should go ahead and start my day.

I've just finished brushing my teeth when I hear the front door open. My heart picks up speed. This is it. The killer is in my house. I look around for a weapon. Plunger? No. Pen? No. My eyes land on my pocket knife on my nightstand. I quickly grab it and tip toe towards my door.

I doubt my dad's home. I can't leave my mom to fend for herself. I reach for my door handle. It feels like every move I make is sounding of an "I'm right here" alarm. I guess the person already knows where my room is, but I could still make them think I'm asleep.

I start to turn the handle. C'mon Henry. You can do this, you can do this! I crack the door a little. I can see a figure moving through the living room. They have a big build. It's not Victoria? It's a guy. The person sits on a chair and grunts. This can't be who killed June. I open my door a bit more and see who it really is. My dad. I can feel my heart slow down. I got so worked up over my dad.

I shut my door and slump back on it. Gosh, I'm so worked up. Maggie's wreck and that letter have made everyone seem out to get me. I go back to my bed and decide to watch a movie to pass time.

It works and I'm on my second movie when Isaac's text comes through. "Baby is here! Room 209."

Bailey had the baby! I hurry and get dressed. I can't believe this. I rush out my door and see my dad fast asleep in the chair. I continue on to my truck. The morning air hits me. It feels good. I'm about to get in my truck when I stop. I need to check my brakes. I get out and look for the cut wire. It's still intact, so at least I won't be dying from a car crash today.

I ride to the hospital. There's barely anyone out today. I decide to stop and get breakfast on the way. I could hardly stomach any fish last night. The letter has been weighing heavily on my mind.

After I pick up a biscuit I head for the hospital. It doesn't take long to get there, considering how small the town is. I park and get out, heading back for the desk I was at just a few days ago.

There's a different lady there today. I walk up to her and smile, "Room 209 please."

She smiles back, "Alright, just get a visitor pass." She says, handing me a sticker for my shirt.

I put it on and head for the room. I find it easily and knock once. Isaac comes to answer it.

"Hey! You made it!" Isaac says, stepping to the side so I can come in.