No Hope (Month After June Went Missing)

It's been a whole month, that's thirty days since June went missing!

The police are still investigating the whole thing, but there's been talk around town about them marking it as a cold case. After only a month, they give up on June? Seriously?

I've seen June's old friend group around, they all make me sick. How do you go camping with five and only come back with four. The cops didn't even seriously question them.

Junes dad was able to come down after Ms.Emma called up there, he didn't stay long. It seemed like he wanted to drown himself in work. I understood but still felt bad for Ms.Amanda. She was already really sick, and now she's dealing with this.

Debbie came back from vacation last week. Her and Isaac have been trying to get me out of the house. But what's the point? June was my best friend and she could be dead, she could've been abducted. All the scenarios have run through my mind.

"Henry, are you coming?" My mom asked. She was dressed in all black, they were holding a memorial for June. It was basically a funeral, how can they just give up on her.

Why should I? They don't even know what happened to her! Why are they trying to bury this whole thing? June might still be out there! And they're just giving up! It makes me sick just thinking about it all!¨ I yell, while getting up and walking over to my window.

"Henry... Sweetie, we are not giving up. We all love June, but we can't let this hold back our lives! This whole thing is eating up everyone, especially Junes' aunt and her mother. I think it's best to let the police do their job and try and go back to our lives honey."My mom says, stepping into my room.

"BACK TO NORMAL? Mama, how do I do that? June became the most important part of my life, and now I'm just supposed to give that up? Go back to living like she was never here? I'm sorry mama, y'all might do that but I can't! I can't just pretend like everything is okay!" I argue. I don't know why I'm taking it out on my mom, but I'm mad at everyone.

My mom takes a step back, "You have thirty minutes Henry. It's at the park, get dressed. I love you." My mom says.

Once she leaves, I drop down to the floor and cry. I don't know if I can make it through this whole thing. But I have to do it, for June.

I'm ten minutes late to June's memorial, I have on dark sunglasses to hide my red eyes. Everyone there is talking among each other, and there's a line to talk to June's mom and her aunt. I guess everyone is trying to give their condolences.

I look around to try and find the lucky four who got away, and I can only see Maggie. She's crying in her moms arms. I can't stay here for much longer, this feels like a funeral and I refuse to bury June until she's actually dead.

I found my way to June's mom and her aunt, they hugged me for three straight minutes. They both cried on my shoulder, I held back though. They needed someone to be strong, and hold them up. We all did.