I'm Sorry (2020)

"Henry! Get up, you're going to be late." My mom says, opening my door and turning on my light.

It's the first day of junior year, I get dressed and head to the kitchen. My mom always makes a big breakfast on the first day, it's basically a tradition. I walk into the kitchen, "It smells good in here mom!"

"Thanks sweetie, you better hurry up and eat though. You kind of got a late start to your morning." My mom says sitting a cup of orange juice in front of me.

I pull into the school parking lot right when the bell rings, I get out and rush to class. When I finally reach the classroom, I have just enough time to go in and sit down before the late bell rings. After I'm seated and can finally focus, I look around for people I may know. I see a couple of people I remember from last year, but nobody I'm friends with. Just when I open up my notebook, the classroom door opens. It's Jalen and June, they're both laughing. They come in and sit right in front of me.

"Nice for you two to join us, I assume you both have a pass?" Ms.White asked.

"Umm no ma'am, we were just running a little late this morning and didn't want to get caught up in the office. That would have set us back even later." Jalen explains.

"Just get settled in! This is the only free pass you'll get this semester. Look on the board for your assignment." Ms.White ordered while still sitting at her desk.

So, I guess Jalen is giving June rides to school now, good for them. I'm glad June found her someone that can get her in trouble on the first day of school. June deserves way better than Jalen, but I guess she doesn't think so. And I'm done telling her, or in her words "Controlling her".

Ms. White is the type of teacher that assigns work on the first day of school, she said, "We've known each other our whole life and we don't need a get to know me activity." So, I was trying my best to focus on the novel she assigned us, but all I could hear was them two giggling. I try not to sound like this bitter person, but seriously can they not just stop for two seconds?

Just as I thought this June turned around, "Oh hey Henry, I didn't know you were in here. Any idea on what we're supposed to be doing?"

Are you kidding me! She's just now seeing me? We've been in here for over twenty minutes, and she's been so caught up on Jalen that she didn't even notice me. I decided that I was going to ignore her, I mean she wouldn't have even talked to me if she didn't need help. I kept my head down and my eyes on the book I was reading. June caught the hint and turned back around slowly.

I get a pass to go to the restroom, I just need a break from the two love birds. I stay in there for only two minutes, I don't want Ms.White sending someone out to find me. I walk out and see June waiting outside of the restroom. I just keep walking though, what does she want from me?

"Henry, Wait up!" June said running to catch up to me.

"What June?" I say but don't stop.

"I thought we agreed to be cordial. What happened to that?" June said, running around to stand in front of me, stopping me.

"What happened? Are you kidding me, June? What happened is I became invisible to you, I wanted to be friends but it's like you can't if you're around Jalen. Which is fine, just don't meet me in the hallway and try to put the blame on me." I say trying to step around her.

June follows my steps still blocking me, "Henry I'm not trying to ignore you, it's just hard being around you knowing that you're judging me for hanging out with them."

"See you're trying to put the blame on me June. I don't care who you hang around anymore, if that's what makes you happy go for it. I don't care." I say still trying to move around her. I could see that when I said "I don't care" it hurt her. But isn't that what she wanted?

"I'm sorry Henry, I just thought that maybe... I know that it bothered you in the past. What changed?" June asks.

"Nothing changed. I moved on, you're a big girl June. You make your own decisions, right? So, make them now! What's it going to be huh?" I say, June just stands there.

"You're either going to get out of my way and let me go back to class, or we are going to fix things..." I say.

June takes a step and hugs me, "I'm sorry Henry! Okay? I just want you back in my life, even if it is just a little bit. I know it's not going to be the same, but I'll take anything." June says, still hugging me.

The classroom door opens, and Jalen walks out, "What do you think you're doing, Dawton?" He asks, walking towards us. June pulls away and puts herself in front of me like a shield.

Jalen pushes her to the side, "I thought I made it clear to you at the party I don't want you touching my girl! Guess I'll have to show you." Jalen is yelling at this point and the classroom opens and Ms.White is coming out; some kids follow behind.

"What's all this fuss about out here!" Ms. White asked. Just when she did Jalen punches me right in the jaw. I fall to the floor holding my face. June runs over to me and checks on me, I know it's not her fault, so I don't push her away.

"You three to the office NOW!" Ms. White yells while getting a kid to call up to the office.

"JALEN, what is the problem with you?!?" June yells at him, we're making our way up to the office and they're behind me.

"Oh yeah, blame it all on me June! How would you feel if you saw me hugging someone? Especially someone who is basically in love with me, I'm sure you would care!" Jalen says.

"Me and Henry are just friends! Just like you and Maggie, I don't care when you guys hang out because I'm not insecure." June argues back.

"I'm not insecure June! Let's just drop it!" Jalen says. The rest of the walk is silent.

Once we got to the office Dr.Drew gave everybody dentition for the day. Jalen ended up getting detention for the rest of the week, since he's the only one that got physical. The detention room was very quiet, you could hear a pin drop, I looked up and caught June looking at me with guilt.

"Can we please fix this! I just want both of you to get along. I care about both of you! Why can't you guys just drop whatever it is?" June says with teary eyes, I can see that June feels horrible about what happened.

"Your right baby, I'm sorry Dawton. I just get a little overprotective when it comes to my girl." Jalen says.

I hold back my gag and play along for June's sake. "It's alright Jalen, just forget about it.." I say.

For the rest of the school day, we just sat there. June would talk to me every now and then, but it was mostly them just arguing over what happened. I guess they weren't the happiest couple, because they sure do argue a lot.