Jailbird (2023)

Yesterday was rough. Maggie was crying for an hour straight. I finally walked her up to her room and told her she should go to sleep. I went to the guest room after and knocked out. Yesterday was filled with action. First we talked to June and Penny's old teacher and found out Penny was the one who originally leaked the picture of June. Then Maggie lost both Jalen and Connor. I lay in bed thinking about our next move.

I hear Maggie's knocks, interrupting my thoughts. "Henry? Are you up?"

I sit up, 'yeah."

Maggie comes in, she looks rough. The bags under her eyes are huge and her voice is hoarse. "We need to talk."

"Seems like there's a lot of that these days."

Maggie doesn't even try to laugh. She only walks in and sits on a chair in the corner. "We need to end this."

"What do you mean?" I ask. She gets broken up with and now she wants to give up on June?

"I mean I'm done. I want to give the police our evidence on Victoria."

It's like all the air is sucked from the room. Giving the evidence to the police would make this real. It would make Victoria the person who took June. There was no more mystery. The curtain has been opened. Was I ready for that? The investigation makes me feel close to June again. Was I ready to give that up? Maggie just sits there. She knows this is a big decision for me. Being put on the spot like this makes memories of June flash. The time we went fishing, ate at the diner, joked around, I feel a tear on my hand and snap out of it. It's like mourning her all over again, but this time we know who did it.

It's time to let June go, "ok."

Maggie and I gathered up all the evidence, the cassette, written confessions of the prank back in high school, the account that stalked June being her's, and the jealousy of June's relationship. We sit in the parking lot.

Maggie looks over, "ready?"

I look out the window trying to muster the courage to step out, "I guess so."

Maggie and I walk into the station. The air smells like coffee. I see an old lady behind the service desk.

She looks up at me and smiles, "Yes dear?" I try to talk, but it feels like my throat is closing in.

Thankfully Maggie says something, "we have something for the head detective." She hands her the folder and cassette. The lady only nods. Should we stay here?

I look at Maggie and she does a forced smile, "guess that's it."

We head back to the car and sit. I know Victoria wasn't immediately going to be put in handcuffs, but it feels so anti-climatic. Everyone keeps going about their day. No one knows that a part of me died, while another part came to life when I turned all my evidence in. I know I shouldn't feel that way until the police officially close the case, but it feels final in my mind. I would have to go forward with life. Maybe that could consist of finding someone else to share my heart with.

"Let's go." I tell Maggie. She's been really understanding of how I feel. I started it and I should be the one who decides to end it.

We arrive back at Maggie's and I call my mom. I tell her I'm headed home now.

"It was fun." I say.

Maggie smiles, "it was fun, but it also cost me Jalen."

"If y'all are meant to be then it will work out." I say while walking out the door. Lord knows they aren't, but I just let her think there's hope.

I decided to walk home. I need to clear my head. I hope Maggie and I stay friends, she was actually a cool person. I could see why June liked her so much, ignoring the boyfriend thing. I wonder if they've brought Victoria in for questioning yet. I look to the side and see some kids playing in the new playground. They look so happy. If I never meet June would life be that carefree? I regret the thought as soon as it happens. The times me and June did have together outweighed the bad by so much. I know our highschool years were back and forth, but I always loved her. I know now that she loved me too.