The Tape (2023)

I wake up the next morning with a message from the old Yearbook group chat. What would they want? Maybe something with the memorial. I read what it says.

Isaac: We should get together today and go over pictures for the memorial. Since we're already experienced in these kinds of things I told the others us three could just work on it. They are gonna look into a location and get supplies for the candles.

Debbie: Sounds good. Where should we meet?

Isaac: Maybe the Diner. Just like old times.

Debbie: Ok. When Henry responds we can set a time.

I quickly respond and Isaac says to meet him there in an hour. I get up and get ready. That diner brings back so many memories. Like the time June ordered me a salad with extra onions and bacon bits. The thought makes me laugh, even now. Things were so simple then. The way June's nose scrunched when they brought out the burger I ordered her. I miss it...her. I run water over my face before my mind sucks me into a nostalgic black hole.

The hour passes slowly, but eventually it's time for me to head out. Just as I'm about to leave my mom calls from the hallway, "Where are you off to?"

"Just planning June's memorial with Isaac and Debbie."

My mom's lips turn down, "be careful honey."

"I will! Love you, bye!", I say while opening the door and heading for my truck.

I can see Debbie and Isaac sitting down at our old booth. They are laughing about something when I walk in, "Henry! Over here!" Debbie yells.

I smile, "Yeah I definitely wouldn't have seen y'all at our old table if you didn't scream my name."

Debbie only smiles and punches my shoulder, "Yeah ok Mr.know it all."

Debbie slides over and I take a seat beside her, "Did y'all order yet?", I ask.

"No, we were waiting for you.", Isaac answers, just as the waitress comes over.

After we order our food Isaac takes his laptop out of his bag, "So, we've got a good amount of pictures. Some are the ones I still have from the yearbook, especially since you loved taking pictures of June, Henry", Issac says, looking at me with sad eyes.

I do my best attempt at a smile, "Yeah. We should be able to use most of them."

"Have we thought of any songs to play over the pictures?" Debbie asks.

Isaac looks over at me, "were there any songs she liked?"

I smile at the memory, "Yeah she liked Taylor Swift. We could play something by her."

"Yeah! How about Back to December?" Debbie suggests.

I couldn't remember how that song went, but I agree. Isaac agrees too. We spend the next 30 minutes picking out pictures for the video. After looking at June's prom picture Debbie announces she has to use the bathroom and I get up so she can get out of the booth.

Isaac waits until the bathroom door closes to say anything, "So you and Debbie?"

"What?", I ask, clearly confused.

"Are you and her not together?" Isaac asks.

"No. I mean we were kinda talking in college, but I put that on pause when I came back and...", I couldn't tell him I was looking into June's case, "realized I wasn't over June."

Isaac just nods, "Oh I thought you two were..y'know."

"No, definitely just friends right now.", I say feeling awkward.