Recap (2023)

Maggie hasn't answered me for over five minutes. Every second only makes me worry more. I decide to call my mom and ask her to watch Holton. Just as I open the call log Maggie's text comes through. "I'm ok. We can talk when I get back."

Her confirming she's ok makes me calm down a little, but why would she need to disconnect the call in the first place? What happened at Victoria's? I go to the couch and sit down, anxiously waiting to see Maggie's car pull up.

It takes her twenty minutes to get home. I meet her at the door.

"What happened?" I ask.

Maggie walks past me and into the living room, "let's sit."

I follow her and sit down on the couch, "well?"

"She didn't say anything." Maggie admits.

I stay quiet for a moment, "did you get my text?"

"Yeah, it's too weird for her not to be behind this." Maggie pulls her sleeves over her hands, "I can't believe it."

"What do we do next?" I ask.

Maggie hugs her knees, "the police?"

"The police gave up on June too easily, if we went to them we would need more evidence."

"You're right. Let's think about other suspects, though. We might be missing someone else since we're so focused on Victoria. " Maggie says.

"Let's think about everything then." I say.

Maggie starts it off, "you got a letter in the mail. It was about you giving up on June."

"It's weird that I would get a letter from someone. Wouldn't the person who did this want to keep it a secret? That must mean at least two people know what happened to June." I say.

"You think the second person is trying to help you find her?" Maggie asks.

"Yeah, but then again why don't they go to the police?" I say, thinking out loud.

"It's too late now. It's like me not going and saying we got drunk that night. It would make them look guilty." Maggie says.

"Yeah. This person had June's email." I say.

"How would they get something like that?" Maggie asks.

"Maybe this person hacked her computer." I say. Maggie's eyes grow big, "what?"

"It's nothing.."

"No, what is it?" I ask.

"Your friend is good with computers..."

"Isaac?" I ask, shocked.

"I'm just pointing out the obvious! And now that we are bringing your friends into it, Debbie should also be put on the suspect list!" Maggie says, crossing her arms.

"Isaac and Debbie? For one Isaac has a whole family now and Debbie wouldn't kill someone!" I say, defending them.

Maggie sighs, "I'm just saying you can't expect me to flip on all my friends and not even question yours!"

"I understand, but we can both admit all the evidence is pointing at Victoria." I say.

"Yeah, I just hate it." Maggie says, and I can hear the sadness in her voice.

I feel kind of bad for her. First she lost June and now she's fixing to lose Victoria. "At least you have me!" I say smiling.

Maggie rolls her eyes, "ha-ha."

I know it's only been a day with Maggie but we did sort of hang out in high school. And solving this case with her has drawn us closer. I could definitely see us staying friends after everything. I try to think about "after everything", but my mind goes blank. It doesn't seem like it'll ever be over without June coming back.

"How about that Tell me your fears website?" Maggie asks.

"That was pretty weird. It does confirm that tagged post though. She was lured out there by someone, and she was scared." I say.

"Who wouldn't be? That's probably why she invited everyone." Maggie says.

"Wait. How did she ask y'all to go camping that night?" I ask.

Maggie looks like she's thinking hard about what happened. After a minute she finally speaks, "I think she told Jalen and y'know... he told me and I told Connor and Vic."

"That makes sense." I say, cracking my knuckles.

"What about that memorial video? Why did they want to bring that picture of June back up? She's gone! Isn't that enough?" Maggie asks, frustrated.

"Who would know about that picture anyway?" I ask.

"Anyone who asked around about her probably." Maggie answers.

We sit in silence, thinking for a few minutes. Should I tell Maggie about my speculations on Victoria and Penny working together? It couldn't hurt anything. Especially since we've agreed Victoria is our number one suspect.

"I've been thinking... and I feel like we should consider Victoria having a partner."

Maggie's face scrunches in confusion, "who?"

"Penny."

"Why would you say that?" Maggie asks.

"Well she would've known about the student teacher affair and gave Victoria the picture. Also all this weird stuff has been happening since she got here. Like the memorial video. That would be the perfect opportunity for her to mess things up!" I say.

Maggie considers what I've just said, "it does add up..."

"She could be an entryway for more evidence. Do you think she would be easier to crack than Victoria?" I ask.

"I guess we'll have to see." Maggie says, getting up and heading for the kitchen.