The End (2023)

We're pulling into Maggie's driveway, "my parents aren't home, they took Holton to the water park. So we can all just hang out or whatever."

"Yeah, I told my mom I was staying the night at your house." I say.

"I guess I can crash on the couch." Jalen says, getting out of the car.

We all go into the house. I head for the living room and sit down. Maggie and Jalen follow.

"I'm so jet lagged." Maggie sighs.

"I don't think it's jet lagged if you didn't take a plane." I say, and Maggie rolls her eyes.

Jalen walks behind Maggie and starts rubbing her shoulders. They make me sick. I need to get conversation flowing, so I can ignore their affection.

"What if Penny isn't a part of June going missing?" I ask, something about them working together doesn't feel right. I know Penny leaked the picture, but why would she wait so long to spread it again? Wouldn't it make more sense to do it as soon as June came to town.

"Who else would help Victoria?" Maggie says, I can see Jalen's hands tense on her shoulders. What's that about?

Should I tell them about Connor? Maggie is still "dating" him, but it didn't take much to convince her of Victoria. I decide to just say it, "Connor..."

Maggie laughs, "Okay real funny. Who are you talking about really?" I stay silent for a few minutes, Maggie can sense I was serious. "It's not Connor."

"Just hear me out..." Maggie stays silent. "I was in the woods the other day, the ones that June went missing in, and I saw him."

"Connor?" Jalen asks.

"Yeah, he said he was camping, but he was alone." I say.

"He liked to camp. What's so suspicious about camping?" Maggie asks, defensively.

"He likes camping by himself? In the woods June went missing in?" Jalen asks, now removing his hands from Maggie's shoulders.

Maggie turns and gives Jalen a mad look, "Yes! You know him! Don't act like he would do something like this!"

Jalen gets mad, "You're the one who turned on Victoria so soon!"

Maggie gets up now, "That's different! She did this! Connor didn't!"

"How typical-" Jalen says, before I interrupt him.

"GUYS STOP! It was just an idea!" I say, confused about the sudden outburst.

"No, it's never just an idea. I'm calling him, it's about time he's brought into this!" Maggie says, leaving the living room.

Jalen looks at me, "this should be fun."

Maggie comes back into the living room after a few minutes, "he'll be here soon."

Jalen and I keep quiet. I don't have the energy to get in the middle of whatever relationship problems that were bound to happen.

It's been about twenty minutes when there's finally a knock at the door. Maggie quickly gets up and leaves. Jalen is looking down with his arms crossed. Connor comes into the room a minute later.

"Hey guys." Connor says, looking at me and Jalen.

"Hey." I smile and wave. Jalen stays silent, ignoring him completely.

Maggie comes in behind him, "Connor we have something to ask you."

Connor looks confused, "ok."

I look at Maggie and she looks nervous. This is her problem, not mine. She called him over here. I just gave the idea he was working with Victoria.

Maggie looks at Jalen before asking her question, "Why were you in the woods the other night?"

Connor looks around the room, "I was camping, what is this?"

"Nothing. Just making sure you were just camping." Maggie says.

Connor looks around again, "Why is Henry and Jalen in your house?"

"We're doing a little project..." Maggie says.

"What kind of project?" Connor asks.

Maggie looks at me. Was she really putting me on the spot right now? I look at Connor. He looks confused. I have to say something, "we're trying to figure out what happened to June."

Maggie butts in, "we want you to join us."

Connor hesitates before answering, "umm... sure?" I hear Jalen mumble something. Maggie looks over at him, "what did you say?"

Jalen looks up, "I said of course you would want your little boyfriend to."

Maggie's face goes red, "Jalen stop."

Connor looks lost, "what's the problem man?"

Jalen gets up, "the problem is Maggie doesn't wanna choose."

It feels like the air is sucked out of the room. Connor looks at Maggie, "choose what?"

"Nothing, Jalen's just mad. Ignore him!" Maggie says, putting her hands on Connor's shoulders.

"Y'know what Maggie! We're done! I'm done being your little boy toy!" Jalen says, storming out the living room.

Maggie follows, "Jalen! Wait! I don't want to lose you!"

Connor follows them, "What do you mean? Have you been cheating on me?" I get up and follow too. This was just too good to miss.

"No! I..." Maggie says, before realizing Jalen is walking out the front door. "JALEN! YOU CAN'T JUST LEAVE ME!"

Jalen doesn't respond, only takes off down the sidewalk. Talk about drama. Now it's just Connor looking hurt and confused at Maggie. I excuse myself to the kitchen, so they can have some space. I stand by the door though, this was better than my mom's T.V. shows.

"Maggie... What's going on?" Connor asks.

I can tell Maggie is crying, "It's nothing I just-"

"No Maggie, it is something! What was Jalen saying about you two together?!"

"Connor please." Maggie says in a whisper.

"Have you been cheating on me?" Connor asks, only pain in his voice.

"No.... maybe....I don't know."

"So you have?" Connor asks. Maggie doesn't respond. "How long?"

Maggie just cries harder, "Connor."

"HOW LONG?" Connor yells. I jump at the sudden outburst.

"Since junior year..."

"THREE YEARS?! YOU'VE BEEN CHEATING ON ME FOR THREE YEARS?"

"I love you, Connor. Please!" Maggie sobs.

"We're done." Connor says, I can hear his footsteps walking toward the front door.

Maggie yells, "CONNOR PLEASE!"

"You know what the funny thing is? You haven't even said you were sorry! You don't regret cheating! You regret Jalen finally having enough and breaking up with you!" Connor says, slamming the door closed.

I hear Maggie cry harder. Should I go out there now? I see tissues on the counter. Even though Maggie was in the wrong I can't just leave her out there. She has become my friend these last few days. I grab the tissues and open the kitchen door. I look to the left and there Maggie is, sitting on the floor with her back to the wall.

She sees me and smiles weakly, "you were right."

I sit down and give her the tissues, "I know."