Heart To Heart (2023)

Today's the day June is being released. She hasn't made much progress with talking. Ever since she squeezed my hand I can notice her being more aware. For example, yesterday when I was telling her a story about the lake, she smiled. I've missed that.

Once we get everything packed and all the papers signed, June is released. Aunt Em dresses her while I'm getting breakfast. I return with a few biscuits. June is in a wheelchair when I get there. She's looking down at her hands.

I walk over, "ready to go home?" June looks up at my eyes and smiles. I grab her hand and squeeze.

June's aunt is pushing the wheelchair June's in, "let's go home!"

When I walk outside the air is warm. It doesn't take long to get to the car. I help load June in and get in the back seat with her.

A song comes on the radio and I can hear the fair hums coming from June. She will be talking soon. I was ready to hear what she had to say.

When we pull up to June's yard it's filled with news crews. What? I knew June's story was a crazy one, but why are they here the day she gets out of the hospital? I can hear Aunt Em's sighs.

"What are we going to do?" I ask, tucking June into my arms to shield her from pictures.

"I don't know. I wish these people would leave us alone!" She yells.

These people think they have the right to June's story? They weren't even here when she went missing! Just thinking about it makes me mad. I get out of the car and start yelling.

"GET OUT! SHE DOESN'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU!" I walk forward and block a camera, "LEAVE BEFORE I CALL THE POLICE!"

A news lady comes forward with a microphone, "Are you June Layton's boyfriend?"

"GET OUT MY FACE!" I yell, walking back over to the car and taking off my jacket. I shield June's face with it and lead her out.

People are screaming at her from all directions, lights flashing.

"What did she feed you?" "How did you survive?" "Why did she keep you so long?"

I push to the door and finally make it inside. June's aunt is still outside, but I can't worry about that now. June is my main focus. I lead her to the couch, but she gets up and walks to the stairs.

"June? Where are you going?" I ask, following her. She doesn't respond, only goes to her room. I go in and see her sitting on her bed. "Do you want to sleep?"

June shakes her head "no" and pats the seat beside her. I go over and sit down. June is looking me in the eyes.

"Hen- Henr-'' June coughs. Her voice sounds hoarse.

This is the first time she has talked since the cave. My heart picks up speed. What is she going to say?

"Henry, I love you." June pauses. I stay silent, urging her on. "I've been thinking about what to say since I woke up in the hospital. When I saw you by my side I knew you were the one I wanted to talk to first." June looks down.

"June, I love you too. I'm glad you're talking to me." I say.

"I just want to tell you... I'm not ready."

"Ready for what?" I ask, confused.

"To be anything more than friends." June confesses. I can't help but laugh. Did she really think I wanted a relationship after what she just went through?

"June I never expected you to be ready." I say, grabbing her hands in mine.

June smiles, "I just don't want to lead you on...again."

"June, don't beat yourself up!" I say.

"No, while I was in that cave I had a lot of time to think, and I treated you wrong. I loved you. I've loved you ever since that day you showed me around school. I just was caught up in the thrill of hanging with that group. I'm sorry I-"

I interrupt June by wrapping my hands around her in a hug, "June let's move past all that. I'm just glad you're alive. I can wait a few years or more for you to be ready. I would wait all my life for you." I feel June's tears and look down at her. "Hey. It's ok June."

"I know I just... really missed you Henry Dawton." June says.

"I missed you too, June Layton." I say hugging her tighter.

I stay with June that night. She fell asleep in my arms. I know we couldn't be more than friends right now, but God did I love her. I stroke her hair. Not soon after June falls asleep Aunt Em comes in.

"You got away from the crowd?" I whisper, laughing.

"I made them get out. Don't ask me how." She responds, laughing. "She loves you Henry, always has." She whispers after a moment.

I smile, "I love her too. Always have."

"I know."

Aunt Em stays a few more seconds, watching us. She leaves, quietly closing the door. Now it's just me and June again. It will always be me and June.