Dad's House (2023)

It's the day after Jalen punched me in the eye. It's definitely bruised, and it hurts to touch. I snuck into the kitchen last night to make an ice pack, and that helped to an extent. I can't hide from my mom forever; I head toward the kitchen.

I see my mom pouring orange juice into a cup, she starts to look up at me, "Would you like some- HENRY!" She comes rushing over to inspect my eye, "What did you do?"

I wince at her touch, "It's nothing, I'm fine."

"You are not! Look at you!" My mom says, putting both hands on her hips now.

"I am! I got it yesterday playing football in the park with Isaac." I hope my lie convinces her.

She looks at me for a moment, trying to detect any dishonesty. "You boys are so rough!"

She believed it! "I know. What's for breakfast?"

My mom reaches into the freezer and grabs a bag of peas, "I'm making French toast, but looks like you'll be having peas."

I roll my eyes, but then groan from the soreness, "ha-ha really funny."

My mom laughs a little, "Here's a few pieces." She puts a plate in front of me.

"Thanks!" I say, not waiting another second to dig in.

I'm through with my second helping when my phone dings. I look down and see Maggie's name. Oh gosh. I do not want to be scolded early in the morning. I shut my phone off and help my mom with cleaning up. We talk about memories from when I was younger and laugh the whole time.

"You were so happy to earn those ten dollars." My mom says, cracking up.

I join her, "you manipulated me into taking a bookshelf apart and rebuilding it because the shelf "creaked "."

"If we're being honest you were getting on my nerves, wanting to go fishing in the heat! I had to keep you busy." my mom confesses.

"The truth finally comes out!" I say, feeling my phone vibrate again.

I look down and it's Maggie again. Can she ever give up? I might as well get this over with. I open up the messages and am taken aback by what Maggie has said.

Maggie: Henry can we talk?

Maggie: Fine if you're not gonna answer I'll just say it here. I'm sorry about Jalen punching you.

Maggie was apologizing? I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years. I thought she was going to bite my head off about making her little "boyfriend" bleed. I decide accepting her apology won't hurt anything.

Me: It's fine.

Maggie responds fast.

Maggie: Can you meet me at my house? I still want to talk about everything.

Me: Will your mistress be there?

Maggie: Wouldn't it be mister? And no

Me: I'll head that way then

My mom can sense the tension, "everything alright?"

"Yeah, I think I'm gonna head out. You need anything?" I ask, getting up from the stool I sat on once I finished sweeping.

"No. Just be careful please."

"I will." I head for my truck.

I pull up to Maggie's house. It's a huge white house on a nice chunk of land. I bet living somewhere like this is nice. I think about how things would be different if I was raised with two loving parents in a mansion, while I walk to Maggie's front door.