...Awkward (2020)

Ever since the whole note incident I've been kind of distant from June and Debbie. I got my hopes up when I thought it was June who wrote that note. And when I figured out it was Debbie I felt bad, now she feels like I felt with June. Everything seems so awkward.

I haven't really reached out to either of them, I know it's not their fault, but I just feel so stupid. I talked to Isaac about everything, and he told me to let it go, so that's what I'm going to try and do.

I reach for my phone and send out a text to the yearbook club group chat, "Hey you guys, we haven't met up in a while. Wanna meet up somewhere?" It doesn't take long for them both to text back.

Debbie replied, "Yeah it has been a minute, I can meet up. Where at?"

Isaac replied, "I guess I can clear my busy schedule to see you two. Wanna just hang out at your place Henry? Kind of tired of the diner lol."

"Yeah, that's fine, Debs you need a ride?" I ask.

"Yeah, that would be nice." She replied.

"Great! Isaac pick up Debs on your way over." I say. This was payback from volunteering me to take Debbie home that day. I didn't mind and I knew Isaac wouldn't mind either. It was just fun to joke around with each other.

I hear them pull into my driveway; I walk outside to greet them at the door.

"I knew I smelt something. Isaac, when's the last time you showered?" I say laughing, Debbie burst into laughter too.

"Bailey loves the rugged manly smell." Isaac plays along in the joke.

We head up to my room and Isaac and I get on the game. We asked Debbie if she wanted to play but she said it's best if she watches, she claims it's because she doesn't want to hurt our feelings when she wins.

"Are you sure it's not because you play like how you drive?" Isaac asks laughing.

"Haha... You're so funny Isaac." Debbie says, holding a serious face until a smile breaks through.

We start playing and Debbie starts trying to distract Isaac by trash talking. It's so funny listening to their playful banter. Kind of makes me miss how me and June used to be, I ask Debbie to take my spot.

"Why can't you finish? Scared?" Isaac asks, looking at me with a challenging look on his face.

"No, he just wants to give me the satisfaction of beating you." Debbie says, I was up by thirty points already and there were only two minutes left in the game.

I laugh and Isaac Un pauses the game, while they are playing, I decide to send June a text.

"Hey June, sorry I haven't really reached out just been really busy with the yearbook and my parents."

I see three bubbles pop up, so I wait for her reply. "No problem, Henry, I figured you got busy. Thanks for reaching out. Almost got worried we were falling off again!"

While they finish up that game, June and I catch up a little. It's always nice talking to June, but I'm still a little embarrassed about what happened. I'm going to try my best to put it all behind me like Isaac said, but it's still awkward.

Everything is back to normal with Debbie, we're even getting closer. I would consider her as one of my best friends. But with June, I'm still trying to shake off everything. Me and her have been texting, but when I see her in person nothing comes to mind but that note.