Knockout (2023)

I've been going down back roads for about twenty minutes. I should be close to wherever I'm being led. It's also pitch dark, so that's not helping anything.

Finally, my phone signals I'm at my location. It's a long dirt driveway. I hesitate a moment before turning into it. I have to, for Maggie. I push my gas and go forward. It only takes a few minutes before the path curves and a big warehouse comes into view. Oh no. Is this where Victoria murdered June? If so, what would I walk into? Could Maggie be dead? All the possibilities run through my mind.

I park my truck and get out. It feels colder out here. Maybe it's just my nerves. I see something big in the bushes when I walk further. What is that? I walk closer. It's Victoria's beat up Honda. So she is here! I walk toward the building. Where do I even go in at? I walk around to the other side and see a door. I open it. The door handle creaks with every movement. It smells earthy here. It's dark and wet. I take another step in and see a figure moving at the farthest wall back, it has to be at least half a football field away. I reach for my pocket knife, but it's not there. I can't believe I forgot it. How stupid could I be?

She has to know I'm here, either from the noise or my headlights when I pulled in. I decide yelling now won't make a difference, "MAGGIE!" I stop and there's no answer.

I walk in more and squint to see what is at the end. Could that be a... person? I walk further, "Maggie! Victoria!" I still go forward. As I get closer the object begins to take shape. It's Maggie! I run over. She's all tied up. Victoria must have done this. She's sitting on a chair with rope binding her. There's a thick layer of duct tape wrapped around her head.

"Maggie! Maggie! Are you alright?" I whisper, praying no one comes over and stops me from untying the rope.

Maggie has no response, so I start trying to undo the knots in the rope. They're really tight, so I try to manipulate her hands to go in my favor, but they're stuck. Could Victoria really tie knots like this?

Maggie suddenly wakes up and starts yelling, but they're all muffled by the duct tape. I try to calm her down, "Shhhh. Maggie I'm gonna get you out of here." I whisper. Maggie only looks above my head and starts crying, "Maggie it's going to be ok!"

Maggie starts screaming and shaking her head, "What are you doing! Maggie!" It hits me when it's too late that Maggie was warning me. Before I can process my head is pounding and my ears are ringing. What? Everything begins to fade. I reach for my head and bring my hand back in front of my eyes. It's red, red...black.