Blackmail (2023)

I've been trying to think of a way to get blackmail on Maggie all night. My first thought was to follow her around with a camera, but that's too stalker-ish. My only other option is to reach out to "Not June".

Typing in June's email address feels strange. It's like no time has passed, and I'm emailing her about hanging out after school. That fantasy is quickly shot down when I send my email.

If you want me to get any further in my search I need dirt on Maggie.

It takes a few minutes for the familiar buzz. When I click on the email I see a picture attached. I click on it and what I see shocks me. It's a picture of Maggie and Jalen kissing in the back of his car. This means Maggie has been cheating on Connor with his best friend, Jalen. The same Jalen that was June's boyfriend. So this means June's best friend and boyfriend got together after she went missing. You just can't make this stuff up! They are basically serving themselves on silver platters. I waste no time sending the picture to Maggie. Just as I suspected it takes her no time at all to respond.

TheMags01: It's not what you think. Please don't tell Connor.

ItsHenryDaw: I won't tell anyone. As long as you start spilling what you know.

TheMags01: Fine. Let's at least talk about this in person. I don't trust texting like this.

ItsHenryDaw: Ok, where at?

I put my truck in park beside the town's coffee shop, Hot Micks. I don't know why they named it that, the owner isn't even named Micks. I walk inside, the doorbell signaling my arrival. Maggie was already there with a drink. Her back is facing me. I walk to where she's at, the very last table near the back exit, and take the seat opposite her.

Maggie immediately tenses, "hey."

"Hey."

She starts playing with the paper on her cup, "Look, I don't need that picture getting out. It could ruin my reputation! I also don't want Connor to find out that way."

I can tell Maggie means this, but finding out what happened to June is more important than Connor finding out Maggie cheated on him. "I'll keep this picture between me, you, and Jalen if you answer my questions about June."

I can see Maggie visibly relax, "Thank you! I didn't mean to hurt Connor, it's just... I love Jalen."

"Don't thank me. I don't approve of you doing this, but June is more important than whatever relationship issues y'all have going on."

Maggie looks down, ashamed, "I know. I shouldn't be sneaking around like this."

"Yeah, you shouldn't. Let's just get to June now." I say, trying to direct the conversation to the real reason I came. "How close would you say y'all were?"

I take a small notebook and pen out my back pocket, writing everything Maggie says. "We were best friends! We got really close the summer before Junior year."

I remember that summer. I hated watching June basically drop me for her new friends. I never knew why she did it. Was I not a good enough friend? Maybe she could tell I wanted more, and didn't like me that way. "Alright, so she would tell you if anything weird was happening?"

"We told each other everything. I would know if something weird was happening." I could tell she really believed that, but I don't think June was ever 100% honest with anyone.

"So, was anything weird happening?", I ask even though I know what Maggie will say.

"No! June was perfectly normal."

"Even that night y'all went camping?", I ask.

"Yes, it was just a normal night y'know. S'mores, songs...some liquor." Maggie says, shrugging her shoulders.