Just Like Old Times (One Week Before June Went Missing)

Summer is finally here, Isaac and I have been hanging out almost everyday. Sometimes Bailey tags along, but she just started working at the diner. Debbie left for vacation right after school ended. She told me that she was going to visit her grandparents in Florida. June has been hanging around the same group of friends, she still looks like something is up. I never asked her, I didn't want her to feel like I was attacking her or trying to control her.

I'm supposed to be meeting Isaac at the diner, he wants to see if we can mess with Bailey. Just as I'm about to leave I get a text from June, which isn't surprising. June and I have been texting a lot since we became cool with each other.

"Hey Henry! We haven't hung out in a while. Just you and me. Wanna go to the lake today? Make a whole day out of it, just like old times." I read June's text, and I smiled.

"Of course June! Let me know when I need to pick you up." I replied, I sat there with my eyes glued to my phone waiting for a response.

"I'm ready whenever! Don't forget the fishing poles!" June responded.

I got up and started loading up my truck. I should probably pack snacks too, last time we went we had to leave because we got hungry.

I head inside to start packing a cooler, when Isaac calls.

"Hey man, where are you?" Isaac asks, I completely forgot about it.

"Oh my gosh man! I forgot. June text and she wants to spend the day at the lake, just me and her... I'll reschedule though-" I say, Isaac interrupts me.

"No go ahead, I know June is important to you. Hey, maybe you can see what's bugging her. Call me when you get home man, Bye." Isaac says, he hung up. I could tell that Isaac really didn't mind.

I put my phone in my pocket and finished packing up the cooler. I packed enough for a two day camping trip, that girl sure can eat.

I pull into June's driveway and decide to go in and visit her mom for a minute.I haven't been here to visit since last summer.

I get to the door and knock, Ms.Emma opens the door and looks surprised. "Henry! Hey, come in." She says inviting me in.

I step in and see Ms.Amanda on the couch, wrapped up in a blanket. She's half way finished with a puzzle.

I walk over and sit on the couch next to her, "Hey Ms.Amanda!"

She looked up from her puzzle, "Hey Henry! It's so nice to see you around here." She says hugging me.

I start helping her put her puzzle together while I'm waiting for June. I can hear her coming down the stairs, so I stand up.

"Sorry it took so long, I couldn't find my other shoe. Are you ready?" June says walking over to me and her mom.

She looks down on the coffee table and sees the almost finished puzzle, then back up to me.

"We are almost finished with this puzzle and then we can go." I say sitting back down, June looks at me smiling and joins me.

Thirty minutes later, after talking and finishing the puzzle we finally decided it was time to go. I tell everyone goodbye and wait at the front door for June.

"Bye I love you mama! I'll be back soon okay. Call me if you need me!" June said, hugging her mom tight.

"Bye Aunt Em, call me if you need anything!" June said.

"Yes ma'am, now go have fun!" Ms.Emma said.

We're halfway to the lake, when June turns the radio up. "I love this song!"