Stealthy Visit (2023)

I'm freaked out about that video playing in my room. I knew whoever this mystery person is had my address because of that letter, but to go in my room was another level. It's like I'm always being watched. Just as the thought occurs, I hear a knock on my door. My heart beats faster, but I hear my mom's voice on the other side and quickly calm down.

"I'm fixing to head out, you need anything?"

"No, I'm fine." I say, getting out of my bed and heading for my bathroom.

"Alright! I love you. Bye."

"Love you too!" I reply.

I don't really want to stay home alone. Nothing will probably happen but still. After everything that happened last night, I'd feel better going out today. Where should I go? The only friend I really have is Isaac. Bailey was supposed to be going into labor soon though. I don't want to bother them. I would've asked Debbie if we were on better terms. I just need to give her space. What else could I do? I feel bad for June's aunt. Last night must have taken her by surprise, and her sister died. Maybe I should go over there. I could even sneak to June's old room. I know it's kind of weird, but maybe this mystery person has reached out to June. Could the police have missed something? It's a long shot, but if I could find something to tie the identity of this person to Victoria, I have a chance of turning in everything to the police and getting answers.

Ms. Emma answers on the second knock, "Henry? I'm glad you stopped by!"

I smile at her familiar face. I always thought June had her eyes. "It's good to see you again. I just wanted to visit; see how you're doing after everything."

Her face saddens, "Come on in so we can talk then."

I walk through the door, and I'm hit with memories of hanging out with June here. I look over, expecting to see her mom, but it's just an empty couch. I walk over and sit.

"Do you want something dear?" Ms. Emma asks, standing by the couch.

"No ma'am, I'm just fine."

"Well okay" she replies, sitting down.

I clear my throat, "I know last night was-."

"Not your fault! You have nothing to apologize for.", she interrupts. "And besides that, picture would've gotten out sooner or later."

I haven't stopped long enough to think about what the picture was. I know it was June and a teacher kissing, but I haven't processed this. It's like my brain is separating the two people. On one side is the June I knew. The other is June from Georgia, who apparently kissed her teachers. Could that relationship be the reason she went missing? I make a mental tab to come back to that after I finish this visit.

"Yeah, that picture was a shocker." I say, trying to get her to spill more information.

"It was her biggest regret. I know it sounds bad, but at least she isn't around to be shamed." She says, while crossing her legs and playing with the ring on her hand.

"June was a tough girl. If she was here, I know she wouldn't let it get to her."

Ms. Emma places her hand over mine, "June was a tough girl, but when everyone found out back in Georgia, she couldn't take it. That was part of the reason she moved here. To get away."

"Wow, I didn't know it was that bad." June seemed so happy when she moved here. Sure, she was nervous the first few days, but I thought she adjusted well.

"She did adjust well, thanks to you Henry. It's a shame she went through so much." Ms. Emma says.

We sit for a moment in silence. Ms. Emma gets up and moves toward the kitchen, "I need to get the cookies out of the oven! I'll be back in a moment."