Bonds, Betrayals, and Bold Conversations

As I approached the Imi'ike house in the dim evening light, I decided to take the back entrance through the kitchen. The door creaked slightly as I eased it open, hoping to sneak in without alerting anyone. My stomach growled in protest, and the knowledge of leftovers in the fridge was too tempting to resist.

I tiptoed to the refrigerator, opening it cautiously to avoid any loud noises. The cold air wafted out, carrying the scent of the delicious homemade meal Janis had prepared earlier. I quickly grabbed a container of lasagna and some garlic bread, trying to be as quiet as possible.

Just as I thought I was in the clear, a voice behind me sent shivers down my spine. "Late-night snack, Y/n?" I nearly jumped out of my skin, turning to find Janis leaning against the kitchen doorway, a bemused expression on her face. "Janis! You scared the shit out of me!"

She crossed her arms, giving me an incredulous look. "Where have you been?" My mind raced as I tried to come up with a plausible explanation. "I was at the library, but I got caught up in my calculus work. You know how it is, time just slipped away." Janis raised an eyebrow, scepticism evident in her eyes. "Calculus? Really? You couldn't have just texted me? You know, a simple 'I'm going to be late' would have sufficed."

I stammered, "I... I know, Janis, I just... I forgot. The problems were challenging, and I lost track of time. It won't happen again." Janis scrutinized me, her concern deepening. "Y/n, you're not doing drugs, are you? Are you high right now?" She grabbed my face looking into my eyes. I blinked, genuinely taken aback by her question. "What? No, Janis! I would never."

Letting go, her eyes narrowed, searching for any signs of deception. "Because sneaking in through the kitchen like this, looking all shifty... it just seemed off. I can't have you going down that path, Y/n." I shook my head. "No, Janis, I promise. I was at the library, working on calculus. No drugs, no getting high. I would never do that."

She let out a sigh, the tension in her shoulders relaxing slightly. "Alright, just... you scared me, okay? I know we're not kids anymore, but I can't help but worry. Be honest with me, Y/n. If something's wrong, I want to be there for you." I nodded, grateful for her concern yet unsettled by the underlying suspicion. "I know, Janis. I'll be more careful and keep you in the loop. Thanks for looking out for me."

"It's okay and I get it, academics can be demanding. But you need to communicate, Y/n. I was worried about you. And now, you're sneaking into the house like you've got something to hide." Panic washed over me as I struggled to maintain composure. "No, Janis, I swear, I was at the library. I just lost track of time. That's it."

She studied me for a moment, her gaze piercing. "Fine, I believe you. But this can't be a regular occurrence, okay? Communication is key. I'm here for you, but I can't help if I don't know what's going on."

Relief washed over me as Janis seemed to accept my explanation, but there was still a lingering doubt in her eyes. As she turned to leave the kitchen, I couldn't shake the feeling that my connection with Janis had taken a subtle but noticeable shift. The unspoken tension lingered in the air, leaving me to ponder the complexities of our relationship.

After reheating my food, I take it up to my room and I get a message,

reginageorge
Hey, just making sure you got home okay after our unexpected adventure tonight. It was nice to hang out despite the circumstances.

I blushed looking at the message and quickly responded;

y/n_imiike
Hey Regina! Thanks for checking in. Yeah, I made it safe. It was really fun hanging out. Let me know if you ever need a co-pilot so you don't run anyone else over.