Breakfast, Blankets, and Being a Good Person

Regina and I settle into her room after dinner. As we relax, Regina turns to me with a thoughtful expression, "Hey, Y/n," Regina begins, her voice soft as she curls up beside me on the bed, gathering her thoughts before continuing. "I think Kylie really likes you."

I raise an eyebrow, a hint of surprise in my expression. "Really? Why do you think that?" I ask, intrigued by Regina's observation.

Regina nods, a small smile playing on her lips. "Well, she seemed really excited to ask you questions and hear your answers. It's like she sees you as this cool, older friend she can look up to." She pauses, her gaze meeting mine. "And I think she enjoyed having someone new to talk to, especially someone who listens and answers her questions with patience and kindness."

I smile at Regina's words, feeling touched by her insight. "I'm glad she feels that way. Kylie seems like a sweet kid," I remark, genuinely pleased by the thought of bonding with Regina's younger sister.

Regina leans her head against my shoulder, a sense of warmth and contentment settling over us. "Yeah, she really is. And I'm grateful that you're so good with her," she says softly, her voice filled with warmth and affection.

I wrap an arm around Regina, pulling her closer as they share a quiet moment together. In the calm of Regina's room, surrounded by the gentle hum of our shared connection, we both feel a sense of peace and belonging.

As Regina snuggles even closer to me, she lets out a contented sigh, her fingers tracing gentle patterns on my arm. "You know, Y/n, I'm really happy to have someone like you around Kylie," she murmurs, her voice tinged with a hint of vulnerability.

I turn to look at Regina, a curious expression on my face. "Why's that?" I ask, genuinely intrigued by Regina's statement.

Regina hesitates for a moment before answering, her gaze drifting to the ceiling as she gathers her thoughts. "Well, it's just... I don't want Kylie to turn out like me," she admits quietly, her voice tinged with sadness. "I want her to grow up to be a good person, someone who's kind and caring, someone who doesn't make the same mistakes I did."

I furrow my brows, puzzled by Regina's words. "But Regina, why wouldn't Kylie become a good person without me around? You're a good person. Couldn't you teach her?" I inquire, my tone gentle but curious.

Regina sighs softly, her fingers stilling on my arm as she considers my question. "You think there's good in everyone. I wish it were that simple to just teach her, Y/n," she replies, her voice tinged with regret. "But I know firsthand how easy it is to be influenced by the people around you, especially when you're young. And with everything that's happened in my life, I worry that I might not be the best role model for Kylie."

I reach out to gently cup Regina's cheek, my gaze soft and understanding. "Regina, you're a good person. And you've come so far since something stupid you did in middle school," I say earnestly, my words filled with sincerity. "But I understand your concerns, and I'll do everything I can to support you and Kylie. We'll figure this out together."

Regina's eyes shimmer with gratitude as she leans into my touch, a sense of relief washing over her. In that moment, surrounded by the warmth and comfort of my presence, I can tell that she feels a glimmer of hope for the future. As the room falls into a comfortable silence, my mind whirls with thoughts and possibilities. Suddenly, an idea sparks within me, and I turn to Regina with newfound determination.

"Regina, what if you started to be nicer at school? You could lead by example for Kylie," I suggest, my voice filled with enthusiasm. The blonde's brow furrows, her expression thoughtful yet hesitant. "I appreciate the suggestion, Y/n, but that's not so simple either," she replies, her tone tinged with uncertainty.