Math, Meetings, and Moments

I strolled down the street, trying to be all nonchalant after Regina dropped me off, I couldn't shake the rush of emotions. The whole "not letting Janis find out" vibe was hanging over me like a ton of bricks. Sneaking around felt weirdly thrilling and utterly nerve-wracking at the same time.

As I made my way through the door, the inviting aroma of something delicious wafted through the air. There was Janis, creating a culinary masterpiece in the kitchen. My stomach grumbled in delight at the prospect of a good meal.

Throwing on my best casual smile, I greeted her with, "Hey, Janis, what's cooking?" Trying to act as if the whole escapade wasn't making my heart race. Janis glanced my way, raising an eyebrow. "You're home early. Everything alright?" She had this uncanny ability to pick up on vibes, and I was sweating bullets under her gaze.

"Yeah, just wrapped up my work faster than expected." I tried to sound breezy, avoiding any mention of the clandestine visit to Regina's place. The less Janis knew, the better—at least for now.

She shot me a look, a sly smile playing on her lips. "Fast worker, huh? Anything you'd like to share?" Janis clearly had her detective hat on, but I had to keep things under wraps. "Nah, just needed a break. You know how it is." I grinned, hoping to steer her away from any prying questions.

With a nonchalant shrug, Janis returned to the sizzling concoction in the pan. "Alright, well, if you're hanging around, I might as well put you to work. We're having my world-famous spaghetti tonight." Her smirk hinted that she was well aware of the games I was playing.

"World-famous, huh? Who else have you been feeding behind my back?" I teased, nudging her playfully as we bantered back and forth. The atmosphere lightened, and for a moment, the complexities of secret relationships and hidden truths were replaced by the simple joy of sharing a laugh with my sister.

After a while of helping Janis with her spaghetti, I get a text.

Jane🩷
Hey, I had a good time with you today. I hope you made it home okay ♡

I blush, smiling at the message and quickly respond

Nick Miller🩵
Hey, I had a good time too. Yeah, I made it home alright. Now I have to help my sister with dinner. Talk later?

Jane🩷
Sounds great x

I smile wider and turn off my phone, turning around to continue helping my sister. "What's got you all smiley?" Janis says, appearing in front of me out of nowhere. "Shit Jan! Don't scare me like that." The smaller girl pushes my shoulder, "Don't call me that. Seriously though, what is it? Or should I say, who is it?"

"That is none of your business!" She scoffs, feigning hurt, "So we go our whole lives telling each other everything until now? I thought you were my sister!" I chuckle at her statement, "Yeah but as I recall, there's one thing you've never told me so now we're even." "Oh! Okay, we're playing this game. Okay, sure you can keep this from me but I will find out sooner or later, remember who you're dealing with but I will never tell you that, okay?"

I raise an eyebrow at her, "Right, I'm sure you'll find out Sherlock-wannabe. Seriously though, it's been almost five years, when will you trust me?"Janis turns back to her food, suddenly not interested in the conversation, "I do trust you, I just can't tell you. It's too hard." She mumbles, more interested in the food. "Okay, I'll drop it. I'm sorry." I pass her the onions I chopped then leave the kitchen, taking my bag up to my room.

I stayed in my room until my parents got home and Janis announced dinner was ready. Dinner was extremely awkward and Janis didn't make eye contact with me. Mom asked us all how our days were and both mine and Janis's answers were short but Dad started talking about something that happened at work that sounded boring so I stopped paying attention.