School Spirit, Surprises, and Sprinklers

I had to awkwardly sit and wait in the principal's office while he called Mr George to make sure my note wasn't fraudulent but after that, the day went pretty smoothly. At lunch instead of going to the library to study, I made my way out to the bleachers to get a good spot. A few other people had the same idea as well.

Principal Duvall and another teacher are finishing getting the stage set up while I sit and scroll through my phone. There's still a little while before the rally starts so I decide to text Regina to wish her luck.

Nick Miller 🩵
Hey, I'm sorry I didn't respond to your text. A lot happened last night and your dad came over this morning. Good luck! You don't need it tho cuz ur gonna win and if you don't you're still the queen ♡

I don't get a response but I'm guessing Regina's getting ready for the pep rally so I don't dwell on it. When the bell rings everyone starts filing out to the bleachers and after a while, Janis and Damian come and sit on either side of me.

"Hey Y/n, how you doin'?" Damian asks to my right. "Hi, Damian. I'm doing good. How 'bout you?" The boy gasps, "I am so glad you asked! I'm doing great. I'm so excited for this pep rally because-"

"Damian! No," my sister cuts him off. "Bitch, why you cutting me off all the damn time? It's starting to get annoying now." Janis sighs, "I'm sorry." She looks down at her fingers in her lap, "But, we can't talk about this while we're out in the open. Anyone could hear us so let's just not. Okay, Damian?"

"Okay, fine. We'll leave it, but I think Y/n would find our plan really funny." Okay, now they're just leaving me in suspense. Principal Duvall comes up to the microphone and starts speaking, "Good afternoon North Shore High! Could I please ask anyone who hasn't taken a seat to please do so quickly, thank you."

"Now, welcome everyone to our Homecoming Pep Rally! We've got a lot planned for you all this afternoon to get you all excited and peppy for the game tonight!" Everyone cheers and then the principal continues, "Thank you, thank you. First I'd like to welcome back our alumni who've already made it here for the pep rally and now I'd like to welcome Coach Carr who'll start us off. Coach Carr everybody."

The whole school cheers and Damian leans over me to address Janis and me. "God I wish he didn't feel the need to wear such short, tight gym shorts. I mean, it's almost winter. Cover your damn knees sir!" my sister and I laugh at how passionate the boy is. "I mean, I'm not straight or old but I don't think even if I was that I'd want to see this man's entire package on display. Surely this is public indecency or something," Janis chimes in.

"Alright, alright, let's settle down everyone," the coach starts "Alright, guys. We've got a banner year coming up because my boys are primed, I mean really primed because I primed them. They're not only primed, they're honed, honed to a sharp razor edge. We're not just going out there to win, we're going out there for glory."

"Why does this sound so familiar?" Janis asks us. "We're going to yank them, tear them, and rip them. We're going to roll them around and rip them up! Then we're going to slaughter them." Principal Duvall tries to cut in and stop Coach Carr, "Okay, Dean I think that's-"

"No, Ron I'm almost done. After the slaughter is over," the principal sighs, rolling his eyes and shaking his head but backing away. "We'll come back here and ring that victory bell. Like we always do." The coach points to his left but there's nothing there. "Uh, Ron? Where's our victory bell?"

"Dean, we've gone over this. We do not have a victory bell. Why would we have a victory bell?" Coach Carr rubs the back of his neck awkwardly. "GO LIONS!!" he yells pumping his arms in the air and the crowd goes wild.

"Oh my god, he just quoted the coach from Grease almost word for word." Janis realises. Damian starts laughing, "holy shit, he did! I knew it sounded familiar." I laugh and shake my head, "What an idiot."