Past Pains, Present Promises, and Perseverance

[Cady pov]

I ran all the way to Janis' house. I ran a half-mile in a big stupid wedding dress, tears running down my face. In the five minutes I ran, I had to think about what I saw and what I was going to tell Janis. I didn't exactly see anything happen between Y/n and Regina but I can't deny there's something there.

Maybe if I told Janis that I saw Regina kissing Y/n, she could stop something from happening between them and I could be with Y/n. It shouldn't be too hard, Janis already hates Regina, so if I convince her that I actually saw something this should work. It's not too far from the truth, I just can't be caught lying.

I approach the door to the garage and pull it open, Janis and Damian yelling in fear. With tears still streaming down my face, I slam the door, "She made out with her, Regina made out with Y/n at the party.

"WHAT?!" Damian and Janis both exclaim at the same time. "Regina's a life ruiner." Janis states and Damian hums sceptically, "Yeah, but making out with your sister? That doesn't sound like something either of them would do." The girl sighs, frustrated, "I don't know Damian, Y/n's been sneaking around lately."

"When we were in sixth grade Regina told everybody that Janis-" "DAMIAN!" Janis cuts him off. "Okay, she does not need to hear that right now." I sigh sadly, "No. I know the story. You lit a fire 'cause Regina got a boyfriend." I sit next to Damian and Janis looks at me confused.

"She said what? Oh, hell no." Damian asks and stands. "Damian," Janis states, making her way over to the couch and trying to stop her friend from talking. "No! The truth will be told. Stay with me Cady," the boy states putting the projector screen up and grabbing a box full of old toys.

"Like all history, this is emotionally layered and culturally dense," He says pulling out two dolls. "Janis and Regina were best friends in middle school and at that time females expressed their identities through collectible plushies." "I-I don't know what those-" Damian pulls out a little stuffed pink horse with big sparkly eyes and a horn on its head. "It's these bastards and they were everywhere."

Picking the dolls back up with the horse he continues, "Regina gave Janis a BFF set for her birthday. Janis put a rainbow patch on hers, this is how she came out to her friend, and Regina put one on hers too out of allyship because she used to be human. Cut to eight months later, Regina becomes obsessed with this gross boy. Kyle!"

Damian pulls out a weird doll and Janis butts in, "Your scale is completely off." "Hush!" Damian growls back before continuing, "One night, they were all playing spin the bottle and Regina was worried that Kyle liked Karen more. So, when she spun and got Janis, Regina put on a little show." Damian makes the blonde doll kiss the tan one.

"And Kyle was like *boing* and Regina was like 'I knew she would let me. She's like obsessed with me! Not okay!" Janis interrupts again, "Please put this all back in its box." Damian ignores her, "They got into a huge fight. Regina started avoiding Janis at school, but did she give back that plush animal? Oh, no. She took it everywhere."

"She named her 'Sissy Liz', and she made everyone say good morning to it every day and it was weird and boring-" "Fast forward!" Janis exclaims. "One day in science, Regina was making everyone say hi to Sissy Liz. And Janis finally heard it; Sissy Liz was short for 'Obsessed Lesbian'. Regina had been making fun of Janis this entire time and everyone but her knew it."

Janis pulls her creepy bunny mask over her face turning away. "So, and this is regrettable. Janis took her Bunsen burner," Damian pulls out a lighter flicking it on, "and torched the doll." Ficking the lighter back off, the boy quickly continues, "and the backpack caught on fire a little bit, Y/n threw the bag in the sink turning the tap on and Janis was kicked out of the school for the remainder of the year."