Crisis, Comfort, and Confrontation

"Please welcome "Santa's Helpers" doing Rockin' Around The Pole."

The plastics make their way onto the stage and my sister turns to me, "Since when do you sing, and play guitar, and even think about getting up on a stage?!" she says pushing my shoulder. I smile widely glancing quickly at Janis before turning back to watch the performance.

"I've always sung and played guitar. I read all the practice sheet music you had from your guitar lessons and I just taught myself. I can also play piano or keyboard like you but I've taught myself how to play drums, I think I like drums the most," I state.

Damian gasps, "Girl, you're acting like you, one of the shiest girls I know, didn't just get up on the stage in front of the entire school and their families!" I laugh and continue watching the dance. Regina seems to be the only one who wants to be there which I already knew was going to happen because of how stressed she was about it lately.

Karen seems to be in another world which is not unusual but she's always been focused and smiling when doing the dance for the talent show. Gretchen has a fake smile that doesn't make it to her eyes, I can see in her eyes that she isn't happy at all and she might cry.

Cady has a kind of far-off look in her eye like she's got a plan or perhaps an ulterior motive. I really hope she wasn't expecting a candy cane gram from me because there is absolutely no way I would've even dreamed of sending her one.

The girls do a move on the floor and as they get up, Damian exclaims, "Thank you, next!" from the back. A few people turn around and give him looks before going back to watching the show.

Mrs George is in one of the aisles with her phone and a light on a stick, filming the group on the stage and having the time of her life dancing along. Karen keeps adjusting her top and the girls all get into position to the infamous lift of Regina.

Regina hardly makes it in the air when Karen wobbles due to not being ready in position yet when the blonde puts her weight onto her. Gretchen lets go and falls out to the side as Regina slips and faceplants onto the stage with a loud thud.

Everyone has their phones out to film Regina who is now lying on her stomach on the stage. Janis and Damian laugh to each other and I give them a side-eye as I stare in disbelief at my girlfriend.

The lights come up and the blonde looks out to the crowd with a hurt expression on her face. I rush up to her mom whose jaw is on the floor as she looks up at her daughter. I wrap my arm around the older blonde not caring about anyone else who seems to be more focused on Regina anyway.

The blue-eyed girl looks as though she's about to cry as she looks dumbfounded at the crowd. Everyone is laughing and filming her until she finally pushes herself up and quickly makes her way off the stage. The curtains start to close, Karen and Gretchen shuffle off the stage, and Cady smirks to herself, curtsying before leaving herself.

As we reach the dressing room door, I can hear muffled crying inside, and my heart sinks at the thought of Regina in distress. With a gentle knock, Mrs George and I enter, finding Regina sitting on the chair in front of the mirror, her shoulders hunched and her eyes brimming with tears.

"Regina, sweetie," Mrs George says, reaching out to her daughter, but Regina pulls away, her gaze fixed on the floor. I move closer, wrapping my arms around Regina in a comforting embrace. "Hey, it's okay," I whisper, rubbing her back soothingly. "You don't have to go through this alone."

Regina sniffles, lifting her tear-stained face to meet mine. "But everyone saw," she murmurs, her voice trembling with emotion. "I'm such an idiot." I shake my head, cupping her cheeks in my hands.