F O U R

My phone buzzed in my bag & I glanced quickly around the classroom before taking it out discreetly & reading the message. 

Sasha: Front row. Sophia and Kelsey are TOTALLY hamming it up for Hayden. 

I lifted my gaze from my phone to the front of the class where the volleyball player and cheerleader sat, giggling quietly amongst themselves as they lifted their skirts up just the slightest bit before crossing their legs. 

Sasha smirked as she watched them next to me. "Can't blame them. Gotta pass somehow," she said under her breath with a shrug, before returning to her work. 

I put my phone away as my eyes scanned the room for Mr. Hayden--

"Ahem." 

I froze in the middle of my actions. 

My eyes scanned from the designer shoes up to the black collared dress shirt & the hand extended towards me, as if expecting something. 

This can not be happening.

"Miss Parker." His eyes met mine, making me hate the way my heart flutter now of all times. "Your phone."

His brown eyes were intense as they stayed on mine and I fought the urge to get lost in them. We were in the middle of class now. But all I could think about was the way his eyes were on mine just as they were moments ago when his fingers danced across my skin--

"Mads," Sasha nudged my shoulder. 

I turned to her. She nodded to Mr. Hayden still standing in front of me. 

"But I was just--I was putting it away," I fumbled over my words for an excuse. 

"If it wasn't out at all, it wouldn't have had to be put away," he countered. 

My lips parted in shock as I looked at him before placing my precious phone in his waiting hand.

"See me after class please." He gave me one last look before walking back to his desk, my phone in his hand.

I immediately turned to Sasha. "How did you get your phone back?" I whispered.

"A little extra credit always helps." She winked. 

I immediately stiffened in my seat. My eyes locked with hers. Did she know? Could she tell? She already noticed Kelsey and Sophia . . . 

"Mads, I'm joking." She rolled her eyes with a laugh as she flipped through the pages in her book. "He's a jerk, remember? He doesn't deserve any extra credit from you. Just ask him for it back after class." 

I sighed, returning my attention to the front.

I've never had my phone taken away before. I've always been the student that went unnoticed in the classroom, quietly did their work & left, no questions asked. Teachers rarely paid attention since I always completed my assignments anyway. Of course, Mr. Hayden would be the exception to that now. He had probably been watching me & now he was going to make me stay after class. 

In any other scenario, I would've been over the moon to stay after class with him. Earlier, I even suggested detention to him during lunch . . . but that was on my terms. 

Now, I was nothing but annoyed that he had to ruin my clean record. 

Yes, it was silly & pitiful, I know. But I actually did care about my grades & if this sneaking around with Mr. Hayden was going to affect that, then we were going to have to figure something out. My well-deserved grades were something I wouldn't sacrifice for anyone. No matter how intense my feelings for Mr. Hayden were.