N I N E T Y - O N E

It was the week of final exams and the excitement was clearly written on everyone's face.

"Due to unfortunate circumstances I am awake. And here. Coffee-less. So if I say anything rude, it's not my fault. I'm warning you now: don't talk to me, don't touch me, don't even look at me. Thank you."

Clearly.

Alice let out a sigh as we watched Chelsea walk away. "Aw, I was going to ask if she could sign my yearbook." She then turned to us. "Did you guys bring your yearbooks?"

"I have mine." I pulled it out of my bag and handed it to Alice. "Sign please?"

She nodded. "Where's yours, jellybean?" She turned to Ben. 

"Mine's . . . somewhere." He held onto the straps of his backpack. "But I'll sign yours." 

She gave it to him and he took it, immediately flipping through it. 

Alice watched him with a puzzled look. "What are you looking for?"

"My picture. I'll sign over it so you don't have to see it."

"No!" She gasped, snatching the yearbook back. "That's my favorite page." 

"Good morning Mr. Hayden," a few voices called out over the crowd. 

I lifted my gaze to the other side of the crowded hallway where Kelsey, Sophia, and a few other cheerleaders were gathered by the lockers, waving at Mr. Hayden as he stepped out of the office, holding a few papers. 

His dark blond hair was neatly combed this morning as he always wore it at school. The polo shirt he wore was that same beautiful dark green color and the material fit him perfectly.

"Good morning." He nodded at them with a polite smile. "Ready for your finals?"

"We are all going to get A's!" Kelsey told him confidently with a firm nodded. 

"Really?" He raised his eyebrows, his smile growing.

"If they're open book," she finished with a laugh and the rest of the girls giggled. 

"I'm sure you'll all get A's either way." He chuckled, shaking his head as he continued down the hall. His gaze then lifted, meeting mine. 

I gave him a small smile. 

Principal Blakely soon appeared behind him amongst the crowd of students. 

Panic instantly bolted through me and I quickly turned back to Alice and Ben.

"Uh, did you guys see where Chelsea went?" I asked, peering down the other side of the hallway, hoping to look like I hadn't just smiled at my history teacher. 

 "Probably looking for coffee somewhere," Alice replied as she handed back my yearbook. "Here you go. Don't read it yet." 

I laughed softly. "When do I read it?"

"After graduation." She smiled at me. 

"Now, I'm curious." I flipped through my yearbook.

"I could get coffee for you guys," Ben offered, adjusting his cap. "From the shop down the street, right? I could probably still make it back in time--"

We both shook our heads at him.

"That's sweet of you, jellybean. But it's closed," Alice told him with a frown.

He knitted his eyebrows at her. "Right now?"

"No, like, for good," I told him as I adjusted my bag on my shoulder before two figures on the other side of the hall caught my eye.