F O R T Y - E I G H T

My fingers lightly traced the collar of his white dress shirt and I could feel his burning gaze on my every move. The fresh smell of his cologne filled my senses & I couldn't think of any other place I'd rather be than here with him like this. I looked up at him. His eyes met mine as I tilted my head with a smile. 

He raised his eyebrows at me, a smile of his own tugging on his lips. "What?" 

"Nothing." I shrugged, running my fingers along the bowtie. "I was just thinking how you should wear a tuxedo more often." 

"Well," he began, wrapping his arms around me. "I'm only wearing this one because you convinced me to."

I giggled. "I should convince you to wear one more often then." 

"With that smile, you can convince me to do anything," he murmured, bringing his lips to mine. 

His gentle touch sent tingles down my spine. He pulled me even closer to him, causing my stomach to flip with excitement at our close proximity. My fingers wound in his hair, losing myself in him.

"Daniel," I spoke up between kisses.

"Hm?" he replied, tracing his lips down my neck.

My breath hitched in my throat. "What time does this end?" 

He chuckled against my skin before lifting his head to look at me. "My brother is hosting this, Madison. It won't ever end until someone comes and shuts the place down for him." His eyes twinkled with amusement. "If it were up to him, he'd probably be here all weekend celebrating." 

I pursed my lips. "How long were you planning to stay here?"

He laughed again, tucking my hair behind my ear. "Are you saying you want to leave without actually saying you want to leave?"

"I mean, we don't have to leave now. I just don't want to be rude." I defended. 

"You're not rude. You're adorable." He pressed his lips to my forehead. "And to answer your question, we're leaving now." He took his hand and mine and led me down the long corridor. 

"Now?" I followed after him, glancing at the theatre doors as we walked past them. Guilt began to rise, knowing Brandon was inside that theatre at this very moment. This whole event was about him and now I was making his younger brother leave it early. 

"Don't worry about my brother," Daniel spoke up as if reading my thoughts. "He knows we came here together so he understands. Besides, he's got his whole team here so he'll be fine. I just want to be with you now." He gave me a smile, squeezing my hand and my heart fluttered in my chest. 

After stepping outside into the chilly night air,  we reached his sleek sports car. He opened the passenger door for me with a handsome smile and I thanked him before we drove off into the dark night.

"Where would you like to go, darling?" he turned to me, the smile never leaving his face.

"Surprise me." I smiled back. 

He raised his eyebrows. "That's quite bold of you." 

"I trust you." 

His smile grew and he reached for my hand, lacing his fingers through mine and filling my heart with warmth all at once. 

I leaned against the seat with contentment, admiring the scenery outside the window. The night had now fallen, and the skyline was a blur of colorful lights as we drove by. 

Despite the long day I've had and the many intense emotions I've experienced within the past few hours, here with him, my heart was calm. The scent of his cologne filled the small space of his car, making it comfortable and familiar. His palm against mine was warm and the lights twinkling against the dark sky outside were mesmerizing. I wanted to remember this moment forever.