T W E L V E

"Let me walk you to your next class." Tom turned to me as soon as the bell rang, indicating first period had ended and it was time to go to second period.

I bit back my smile as I picked my books up & swung my bag over my shoulder. "Do we have the same class right now?"

"Doesn't mean I can't walk you," he replied smoothly as we made our way out of the crowded classroom and into the even more crowded hallway.

"What if you're late to your next class?"

"So, I'm a little late, won't be the first time." He flashed his perfect smile as he walked by my side. "Please?" He extended his muscular arms towards my books as an attempt to hold my books for me.

"Sorry, tough luck this time. My class is right here." I laughed, nodding my head toward the classroom we had stopped in front of. 

Tom's smile fell as his arms fell to his sides. "Well, uh . . . I'll catch you later." He scratched the back of his neck, glancing around. "Maybe afterwards!" he called out as he made his way down the hallway, a smile lighting up his handsome face.

I smiled at his eagerness and made my way into the classroom, taking my usual seat in the front.

Fifty minutes and far too many journal entries later, the bell sounded and we all packed our things, eager to get out and go on break. I hastily finished scribbling the assignments for tonight's homework in my planner before grabbing my books and standing from my seat . . . and running right into Tom. 

"Whoa, careful." He let out a chuckle, placing his hands on my shoulders. 

"Sorry." I took a step back, before looking up at him in slight confusion as we stood in the now empty classroom. "We do have break now, right . . . ?"

"Yeah, but I said I'd be here after class, remember?" 

My eyes widened in realization. " . . . right!" Between all the writing and reading, his proposal had been long forgotten. Yet here he was, standing in front of me with an eager smile and sparkling bright eyes. Guilt slowly settled within me for letting it slip my mind so quickly. 

"You didn't forget, did you?" he asked with a playful smile as we headed out of the classroom. 

"No!" I answered way too quickly. "Of course not. I just can't . . . stop thinking about Friday." I turned to him with a small smile as we stepped into the hall. 

"I can't wait!" he exclaimed with excitement as he walked alongside me down the hallway, passing the rows of lockers & students at them. 

Many girls had now forgotten about their lockers & turned their attention to Tom as he strolled down the hallway like always. And just like always, their dropped jaws & adoring gazes didn't seem to bother him much though. It was something that came along with being the star athlete of the school. If anything, his smile simply grew. 

"I'm gonna head to the coffee shop real quick with the guys," Tom said to me. "Do you wanna come with? It's only down the road so we'll still make it before the bell . . ." he trailed off.

But all I could focus on was the millions of eyes on us as we walked the endless hall to my locker. I knew it wasn't millions, but in all honestly, that's what it felt like. And I was just simply walking next to him. 

I adjusted my books in my arms as I took a deep breath. "No, I'm good."

"Or you can just tell me what you like and I can get it--"

"I said no," I cut him off. 

He stopped, a surprised look coming over his face. 

Regret instantly set in and I let out a sigh, closing my eyes. I didn't mean to sound so harsh, I just couldn't think straight here in this moment. Being in these halls was enough to make my chest clench,  and now being on the receiving ends of multiple stares while walking down the hallways with Tom didn't make things any easier. Not to mention those blue-gray eyes that were beginning to  bring me into a haze.