T H I R T Y - T H R E E

The crisp cool air greeted me as I walked across the wet field, due to last night's rain storm, at the park this chilly Saturday morning. I pulled my black winter coat even tighter around me as I reached the usual spot where I stand to watch my sister's soccer games.

Jade had told me that she had received my winter formal dress this week and I could stop by her house today to take a look at it. But in the back of my mind, it all seemed kind of pointless now. I didn't have a date to formal and if I was going to go, it would only be to perform in the dance production. And standing around aimlessly at the formal all night didn't seem all that fun either.

The sharp high pitch of the whistle sounding, brought me out of my thoughts as the players jogged out onto the field.

I sighed as I kicked at a few rocks with my black thigh high boots. How was I even supposed to explain all of that Jade, especially after all the trouble she went through to get the dress for me.

Hoping to avoid her at today's game, I headed toward the bleachers to sit with my family. Maybe if I didn't see her today, I wouldn't have to explain the fact that I didn't actually need a dress for the formal and I would could just meet up with her next week, after the formal, when the dress wouldn't be needed anymore. Just to avoid the awkward explanation, because just knowing Jade from that one weekend, she liked to be in on everything.

I climbed the stairs to the top of the bleachers where my brother and parents were cheering for my sister when suddenly my path was blocked by a little blonde toddler dressed from head to toe in hockey equipment, with the exception of his skates, which I imagined would be very tiny to fit his adorable size.

I smile crept onto my face, when I recognized it was Bennie, who was blocking my path and he wasn't budging to go anywhere soon.

"Hey, I know you!" I exclaimed in a friendly voice as I lowered myself to be eye to eye with the small toddler.

Bennie simply smiled back at me through his caged helmet.

"Where's your mom and sister at, Bennie?" I scanned the field and bleachers for any sign of Jade's short blonde hair, but she was nowhere in sight.

Bennie simply stared back at me with wide blue eyes & absolutely no attempt to go anywhere.

"Well, we can't just stand here and block other people's way. Come on, let's go find them!" I gestured with a smile and extended my hand out to him. However, he kept his grip on his miniature hockey stick as he followed me down to the field.

Once we reached the field he clutched onto my hand, as it was much more crowded here on the sidelines than the bleachers. I held onto his small hand as we wove through the crowd, searching for Jade and Jenny.

"Do you see them?" I raised my voice slightly over all the commotion, and Bennie shook his helmet -covered head. I chuckled to myself. At his little size, the only thing in his view was probably the array of winter boots.

I looked ahead at the crowd and spotted Jenny's blonde curls standing tall above the crowd on the other side, as she was being carried, her little ponytail standing out from everyone else.

"Look there's your sister!!" I exclaimed to Bennie and he began walking faster through the crowd.

She seemed to be sitting on top of someone's shoulders, though I couldn't see who's shoulders, as she floated well above everyone else in the crowd.

Bennie and I quickly made our way through the crowd. Though I was sure Bennie couldn't exactly see his sister, his excitement to be with her was evident.

We got closer to Jenny as she and her holder made their way through the crowd as well. She let out a shriek of excitement when she spotted her older brother by my side and Bennie's blue eyes lit up upon hearing his sister.