S E V E N T Y - T W O

"I can't believe I'm about to say this, but getting here at six a.m. is actually the best thing ever."

"Only if it's to dance," I pointed out with a giggle as I walked out of they gym with the rest of the cheerleading squad.

"I feel like I can conquer the world now," Sophia chimed in. "And it's only seven in the morning."

"We are ready to take on anything!" Kelsey exclaimed, throwing her hands in the hair.

"Mhm." I nodded, adjusting my dance bag on my shoulder. "Even Algebra."

We giggled as we entered the main school building. As much as we were joking, it was true. There was something about being here before everyone one else and rehearsing our dance first thing in the morning that made the rest of the day that much more exciting. Energy buzzed through me as we walked through the hallway and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

"Catch you at study hall." Kelsey waved at me.

I waved back with a smile as I stepped up to my locker, my smile immediately falling.

"Well," Chelsea began, stepping up next to me. "Looks like Sasha's back."

I followed her gaze to the other side of the hall. "Yeah," I mumbled, eyeing Sasha through the crowd. "Looks like it."

"Madison."

I looked up at the sound of my name. My eyes scanned the crowded hallways until they landed on a pair of familiar, brown ones.

Mr. Hayden held up a paper as he stood in the doorway of his classroom a few doors down. "Can I see you regarding your report please?"

"Wait. We had a report?" Chelsea widened her eyes at me. 

I held my breath, unable to give an answer to her. I was even more confused myself. My feet seemed to move on their own as they carried me to his classroom while my brain spun endlessly with all sorts of reasons why he would want to see me, especially now.

We weren't supposed to be seeing each other at all, nonetheless at school. Yet, here he was calling me into his classroom and closing the door behind us, making my heart race even faster.

"Is this because I ignored your call?" I asked, biting the bullet.

"I have to go," he said suddenly, moving behind his desk.

"What?" My head reeled with confusion as I took a step up to his desk. "Look, I'm sorry I didn't answer but I couldn't--"

"I'll be back though, alright?"

My brain scrambled for words as I watched him shuffle through his drawer and pack his things. "I--Daniel--"

He shut his briefcase. "I have to go." With that, he shut the drawer and walked to the door.

All I could was just stand there completely perplexed as he opened the door and walked out.

The bell immediately went off, prompting students to come flooding in, giving me no time to gather my thoughts.

I dragged myself to the back of the classroom. My chest growing tighter and tighter as I plopped myself in my usual seat, yet my brain and heart seemed to stay by his desk.

What had just happened?

"Did he just quit?

I looked up to see none other than Sasha settling in the seat next to me, unpacking her things.

"You're back." I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Unfortunately," she replied dryly, tossing her book on our table.