E I G H T Y - S I X

"How bad did Sasha make things on Saturday?" Chelsea asked the following Monday morning as we walked into the coffee shop. 

Sparing a little extra time, we stopped to pick up a quick cup of coffee before heading to school for the day.  

"At the fundraiser?" I asked her as we stepped in line. 

She nodded.

"Hayden's not too worried about it . . ." I sighed before turning to face her. "What if we talked to her?"

"To Sasha? Won't that make it worst?"

"It kinda feels like this is worst. She's already done enough damage. What else can she do?"

Chelsea quirked an eyebrow at me. "Uh, get him fired."

I gave her a look. "That would be my fault."

"That would not be your fault." She quickly shook her head. 

"I'm in the one in a relationship with him." 

"He's the one in a position of authority with a degree of professionalism to maintain. He's the one overstepping boundaries. He's the one breaking codes of conduct." 

I took in a shaky breath, moving my hair away from my face and shifting my gaze to the menu. "Look. Can we just not talk about this here?"

"Fine. But just . . . don't blame yourself for any of this, okay? No matter what happens." 

I swallowed hard, crossing my arms in front of my chest. "Now you're scaring me."

"Well, I'm scared for you so that makes two of us." 

I looked up to see her brown eyes filled with concern, tugging on my heart strings. I leaned my head on her shoulder and she wrapped her arm around me. 

Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. The sharp ring of a bell rang through the air, forcing Chelsea and me to pull away.  

I looked up to see Tom standing at the front of the line by the counter. He wore a wide smile as he rang a bell in his hand, looking around at everyone excitedly. 

Ben stepped up to him, smacking the bell out of his hand, causing the ringing to halt. 

"Oh, yeah. Sorry." Tom chuckled, bringing his hand down. "Hey!" he called out, his blue eyes scanning the small coffee shop as his smile grew. "Today's coffee is on me!! Order whatever you want! We're going to the championships, baby!!" he cheered, pumping a fist in the air. 

More cheers filled the air as everyone clapped their hands. 

Chelsea and I exchanged looks. 

"Are they paying you now or something?" Chelsea asked as Tom walked by us. 

"Not yet!" He laughed, running his hand through his long dark hair.

"Well, thank you," I told him sincerely. 

"Yeah, my treat. Just don't buy the whole menu." He chuckled, before joining the rest of the hockey team at the back of the line.

Ben followed, his eyes meeting mine briefly. He adjusted his red cap to sit backwards on top of his brown hair as he walked past us. 

"What was that?" Chelsea asked.

"What was what?" I turned to her.

"Why did he just give you that look?"

I simply shrugged, turning toward the menu hanging at the front. "What are you getting?"

Chelsea turned around to look at Ben and Tom at the end of the line.