T H I R T Y - F I V E

The next morning, Monday, Tyler and I walked up to the school's entrance. His backpack was carried casually over one shoulder while I dragged my bag behind me. I could list thousands of places I much rather be at the moment and school was definitely not one of them.

Tyler opened the door as we reached the top of the stairs and entered into the crowded hallways. He was rambling on about how he barely finished the essay due in English class today, having to stay up until the early hours of the morning.

"Then on top of all of that, there's those senior check ins this week and we still got the formal on Saturday." He added, matter-of-factly, as he glanced around at the many posters plastered on the walls, announcing the formal this weekend.

"Don't remind me." I mumbled.

Despite their beautiful design and vivid colors, I felt more annoyed than excited for this dance. For some reason, it felt like everything would start looking up after the event passed - at least that's what I kept telling myself. Because it seemed like all the recent drama in my life revolved around the formal - Tom being my formal date, Sasha trying to set up Tom & I just so she could go out with Ben. This event has brought me more troubles than joys and I couldn't wait for it to be over. The senior check ins were a whole other dilemma.

"But that's when our big performance is!" Tyler pointed out as we walked to our lockers.

"Yeah, and that's the only reason why I'm going. If there wasn't a dance performance, then I wouldn't even go in the first place." I yanked open my locker.

Tyler sighed. "Well, at least we know what the best part about the formal is going to be." He had a big grin on his face.

I laughed softly, as I looked around the hallways searching for Alice or Chelsea. In the back of my mind, I knew Chelsea would probably not want to see nor speak to me after the way I snapped at her then hung up on her last night, but I couldn't help but feel weird starting the day without seeing them, like we would everyday.

The bell rang, indicating the start of school, as Tyler and I shut our lockers.

"And let the torturing commence." He said in a dramatic tone.

"Let me know if you survive." I said playfully.

"It's a tough job, but someone must get it done." He strapped on his backpack in a mock dramatic manner. "Wish me luck, Sonnie!" He called out as he strolled down the hallway.

Shaking my head at him, I rolled my eyes and made my way to study hall.

Tom didn't show up to study hall, which didn't surprise me at all considering what kind of student he is. And I don't think I had ever been so grateful to see Mrs. Karlsson behind the teacher's desk, as I was this morning.

Looking back at it now, I don't even know how I managed to survive being in the same classroom as Tom while Mr. Hayden was our teacher. Despite all the awkwardness and tension, I was still able to get my work done, but Tom was always particularly rude to Mr. Hayden. Yet Mr. Hayden was the one looking out for me, making sure I wasn't letting Tom push me around.

My heart softened at the thought. But my mind reminded me with a snark that he was a teacher, it was his job to look after his students. My heart fought back though, arguing that after all we had together, Mr. Hayden still cared for me. But this is what led me into this mess in the first place, mistaking a simple kind gesture as an act of love and getting too carried away. It was like that Algebra 2 exam all over again, and my mind and heart continued at battle.

I spent the rest of the morning in a daze, between not wanting to be at school and trying to sort out my feelings for Mr. Hayden. In the middle of English class, events of the weekend flooded my mind - meeting up with Mr. Hayden briefly at the game, looking at the dress with Jade, and Mr Hayden admitting that he would take me to the formal.