S E V E N T Y - E I G H T

After frosting all the cupcakes and placing them in a container to take them to Brandon, Bennie and Jenny eventually stumbled their way into the kitchen, still rubbing the sleep from their eyes. 

"You ready to see Papa?" Daniel asked the two toddlers, lowering himself in front of them. 

They both instantly perked up with excited gasps. "Papa! Yeah, Papa!" 

I couldn't help the smile on my face as warmth blossomed in my heart. 

"Let's go see Papa." Daniel reached his hands out to them and they each took his hands as we made our way out to the car.

Silence filled the car ride on the way to the hospital as reality crept its way back into air. 

The giddy feelings rising within me were long forgotten and now replaced with panic and anxiety of what would we find on the other side of those hospital doors. 

Although I had no idea what to expect, there could never be anything good at a hospital.

We grabbed some dinner from Brandon's favorite burger spot before heading to the hospital. As we pulled into a parking spot in the large parking structure, my heart jumped to my throat. Daniel held his hand out to me as he pulled the passenger door open for me and I took it immediately. His palm warm against my freezing cold one. 

"You're cold, love," he mumbled, looking down at our joined hands.

"I'm scared," I admitted. 

"You're not the only one." He squeezed my hand before helping Bennie and Jenny out of their car seats. 

With the adorable toddlers holding our hands and the cupcakes tucked under our arms, we headed toward the hospital. My heart pounded harder and harder with each step. 

My mind spun with all sorts of thoughts. Was Brandon okay? What happened? Would he ever get better? 

Jenny tugged on my hand and my heart sunk even lower. Did she even know what was happening? Did her or her brother even understand where they were?  Or why their father hadn't been home? 

I didn't even know what was going on and was overwhelmed with panic, I couldn't even imagine what could be running through their little minds. 

Plain white walls lined the hallway as we stepped inside, the air even colder inside. The scent of latex & rubbing alcohol hung in the air along with the low humming of various machines. A few nurses rushed past us. My gaze followed them, watching as they hastily entered a room down the hall, before spotting a girl about my age walking towards us.

Her long, light blonde hair flowed past her shoulders and a small smile sat on her lips as she gazed fondly at Bennie and Jenny. She then lifted her eyes to me.

A small gasp immediately lift my lips. 

Her hazel eyes. They were so familiar. 

Too familiar. 

I knew I had seen them before . . . I just didn't know--

"Angelina, come on!" a voice called.

The girl and I both looked up to see an older man standing a few feet ahead of her.

"You're almost there, come on," he encouraged.

Giving me one last warm smile to me, she began to walk to the man at a very slow pace.

It was then I noticed a brace placed all along the length of her back. She clutched tightly to the railing attached on the wall with her right hand.

I held my breath as I watch her hobble slowly down the hall.