S E V E N T Y - S I X

Kelsey: Where r u??

Kelsey: rehearsals are starting!!

Kelsey: plz don't leave us maddie :(

I took in a deep breath as I ran my hand through my hair, scrolling through Kelsey's messages. 

Dancing was everything to me. A chance to dance was a chance I'd never miss. I'd choose dancing over anything . . . I glanced at Daniel next to me. 

Well, almost anything. 

Although I knew we had a show tonight, my mind was so filled with worry for Daniel, hardly letting me think about anything else . . . even the dance. I wasn't sure why or how or when this happened but somehow he had become my everything.

I tapped my fingers against my phone, unsure how to even reply. 

"What time does prom start?" 

I looked up to see Daniel's eyes on me. 

I gave him a look. "Don't worry about that." 

"Darling, aren't you in a dance?"

I lifted my hand to his hair, lightly running my fingers through the soft strands. "I'm with you." 

His eyes fluttered close for a split second before meeting mine again. "Your classmates are expecting you." 

"They know the dance. They'll be fine." 

His gaze stayed fixed on mine. 

"Promise," I assured him, reaching to take his hand in mine. "This is more important. I'm not leaving you."

"This is your last year. It's a senior prom. And you're performing--"

My phone buzzed. 

We both glanced at it. 

"You have to go, love," Daniel continued. 

My mind spun, pondering his words and even the option of going to prom really quick just to perform, before returning to him. 

But right now, with his palm hot and clammy against mine and his gaze cast down . . . the routine was the last thing on my mind. I couldn't even remember the choreography. Or what song it was even to. 

"I can't." I shook my head. 

"Don't let this stop you, Madison," he said firmly. "I don't want to hold you back--"

"You're not holding me back!" I exclaimed lowly, careful to keep my voice down for the sleeping toddlers upstairs. "I'm choosing to stay with you. Me. I'm holding myself back." 

He let out a deep exhale, shaking his head as he leaned back against the couch. 

"Even if I went right now, I wouldn't be able to remember any of the steps. I'd be too worried about you." 

"You don't have to worry--"

"Well, I am!," I said a bit too abruptly. I sighed, closing my eyes as I paused. "Daniel, you didn't show up to our senior project and called me to go see you immediately instead. At a hospital. How can I not worry?"

"Look, I'm sorry for calling--"

"No, I'm happy to be here for you. I like being the one you can call."

"Maybe I shouldn't have called you . . ."

I sat up, gawking at him in disbelief. 

He ran his hands over his face with a heavy sigh.