N I N E T Y - F O U R

Ben's grin immediately fell as soon as Tom disappeared. "What did he do to you?" His eyes hastily searched mine. 

I glanced around the now empty hallway. But it seemed smaller than ever. 

Silence filled the air but it was too loud. 

And the pounding of my heart in my chest was even louder. 

"Nothing. I'm fine." I shook my head quickly as I moved to step away but my back was glued to the locker, preventing me from going anywhere. 

"Maddie," he pressed. 

A chill ran down my spine and I froze. 

"What happened?" 

I opened my mouth to speak but the lump rising in my throat made it impossible. What have I done? 

"Hey, do you wanna go to that pizza place with the--" Chelsea stopped as soon as she stepped up to us, her eyes falling on me. Her eyes blew wide as she cursed. "Oh my gosh, Maddie. Are you okay??"

"I'm fine!" I snapped as my head pounded. "Ugh, why does everyone keep asking me that?!" I huffed, pushing myself off the locker. 

"Because you don't look like you are," Alice replied gently. 

"Well, I am." I reached down to grab my bag that had somehow fallen amongst all of this and headed down the hallway. 

"Where are you going?" Chelsea asked. 

I bit the inside of my cheek hard as I walked down the hallway, hoping to feel something. Anything. But my legs were jelly. My mind was numb. 

"Maddie!" Alice called as footsteps hurried after me. 

However, I kept walking, blinking away the hot tears pricking my eyes. I just needed to get away. Away from here. Anywhere but these halls--

My path was suddenly blocked. 

I slowly lifted my gaze to see Daniel standing right in front of me. 

My heart dropped.

His brown eyes glanced over me before meeting mine. 

Now I felt something--

Guilt. 

I stepped around him and continued walking, even faster now. As if I could somehow outrun the images that wouldn't stop running through my head. His greedy hands. His sloppy lips. His heavy weight. 

My legs moved faster and faster until I reached the bathroom and pushed the door open.  

"Maddie!" Chelsea and Alice hurried into the bathroom after me. 

I took in a deep breath but I couldn't breathe out. The walls began to spin, coming closer and closer. 

Hot tears stung my eyes. 

I swallowed hard and immediately wished I hadn't. The bitter taste of him only grew stronger. 

I wanted to disappear. 

I didn't want to feel anything anymore. 

"Mads," Alice said softly as she stepped up to me. She slowly reached out tugging the hem of my shirt down. 

I paused, watching her before lifting my shirt again. Red marks littered my skin. My heart plunged to the pit of my stomach. Heat rushed to my head. My heart raced. 

"What did I do?" I choked out. 

"You didn't do anything." 

"Yes, I did!" I cried, whipping around to face them. "I let him sign my yearbook. He signed mine. I talked to him. I hugged him. I didn't have to hug him!"