F I F T Y - E I G H T

"What in the world happened in study hall?" Chelsea plopped her lunch tray on the table before sitting next to me. 

I let out a laugh. "Which part? That whole class was a disaster." I turned to my container of pasta.

"Why did he call you outside?"

"He called Sasha outside too." I pinched my fork through my pasta.

"Yeah, and what did he say?"

"I don't know." I shrugged. "Something about being careful . . . I don't remember. That was like, what, first period?"

Chelsea gave me a look. "Your memory is not that bad."

"It is when my brain is fried! When was the last time you got eight hours of sleep??"

She let out a sigh. "Kindergarten. When we still had nap time." She shook her head with a look of disappointment. "All that precious time wasted on a bunch of ungrateful five-year olds." 

I let out a laugh. "See? It's not just my brain."

"I'll go ask Sasha." She moved to get up. "Do you think her brain is fried?"

"No, wait." I quickly reached for her hand, pulling her back down before she could even look for Sasha. I haven't seen her since study hall, but there was no doubting the damage she could cause . . . if she hadn't caused it already. 

"Maddie, seriously. What is going on?"

I swallowed hard, putting my fork down. "He's scared." 

She furrowed his eyebrows. "Who's scared?"

"Dan--Mr. Hayden."

"Whoa. Wait." She stopped me. 

I closed my eyes, already regretting everything

"Dan?!" Her eyes widened at me. "You're on a first name basis with him?!"

"Chels . . ." 

"Again?!"

"It's not like that." I shook my head, turning back to my pasta. 

"Then why is he so scared?" she asked.

I sighed in defeat, lifting my eyes to her. 

"That's what I thought."

I bit my lip. "Please don't get mad."

"I'm not mad." Her brown eyes filled with concern as they stayed on mine. "I'm just scared . . . for you." 

"You don't have to be." I let out a laugh, shaking my head. "He's --"

"Much older than us? Much more clever than us?" Chelsea finished.

I sighed, looking around the cafeteria. 

"His thinking capabilities could probably exceed both of ours combined. It's almost too easy for him take advantage of you." 

"This is the same guy who's forgotten to collect our homework and mixed up what days he assigned our presentations," I pointed out with a laugh.

She gave me a look. "I'm being serious!"

"So am I! Chels, if he really wanted to try to do something to me, he would've done it a long time ago." 

"Maybe he's still planning it." 

"He also would've hooked up with every student here." 

"Maybe he has!" 

"Has he tried anything on you?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

She wrinkled up her nose. "No." 

"That's one less person. Should we go ask everyone else in here too?" I nodded toward the crowded cafeteria.