N I N E T Y - N I N E

He looked up from the coffee machine. "Madison, I've held you back from enough--"

"Oh my gosh." I threw my head back with an exasperated groan. "We are not having this conversation again."

He paused, his brown eyes wide as he looked at me.

"What did I miss anyway?" I pushed myself off the counter and took a step toward him. The annoyance building in the back of my mind, now slowly creeping toward the front. "The fight that happened earlier? Spending more time with the exact same people that were in that fight?" I raised my eyebrows.

He turned away from the coffee machine to face me but stayed silent.

"I didn't miss anything," I continued. "Trust me. I know I didn't miss anything. In fact . . ." I took in a deep breath as my chest tightened. "I wish I missed more."

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What--What are you talking about?"

"You are the best part of my time in high school." I took another step toward him. "Maybe I won't remember much from what I learned from you in class, but I will remember all I learned from you outside of class."

A small smile tugged on his lips as he looked at me. "You're really not going to remember anything from my class?"

"Besides, how you good you looked everyday? No." I shook my head with a laugh.

"It's too bad . . ." he began, wrapping his arms around my waist. ". . . the final exam isn't going to be on my style."

"It should be. I'd pass with flying colors." I smiled playfully at him.

He chuckled lowly, brushing my hair away from my face. "You'd still pass with flying colors either way." 

My smile grew as my eyes connected with his. "I don't regret being with you, Daniel. At all." 

His gaze softened as it held mine. 

"I really like being with you. And, yes, it's different and it's difficult. But it's real and it's still good." I gently ran my fingers through his hair, pushing it back.

His brown eyes twinkled as he leaned in, closing the gap between us.

And just like that, the rest of the world around us fell away. His soft lips shaped perfectly against mine, bringing a wave of relief over me. His kisses were steady and languid, making me feel every movement of his lips, filling my entire soul with warmth. He left me breathless yet filled me with new oxygen all at the same time.

My hands slid down to his chest, tugging lightly at the material as our kisses grew more urgent and our breathing grew more heavy. He pulled me closer, kissing me slowly and deeply, and I could feel myself melting in his arms with every trace of his soft lips against mine.

His fingertips trailed lightly up against my arms, sending tingles down my spine as his hands found mine. 

A loud beep suddenly sounded through the kitchen, causing us to break apart. 

My gazed followed as he moved swiftly through the kitchen. My mind had been reeling all evening but seeing him carry himself with such ease and poise settled my stirring thoughts somehow.

After retrieving our two steaming mugs of coffee, Daniel led me to the living room, placing the mugs down on the coffee table as we settled on the couch.

I connected our lips once more, bringing my hand to his face while my other hand tangled in his hair. My breathing was uneven and my heart was fluttering like crazy; yet I was calm. Here in his arms, with his lips on mine, I was calm.