E I G H T Y - T W O

It had been a couple of days since Principal Blakely began sitting in in our history class, and he hadn't stopped. 

With each day that he sat in the back, the guilt within me grew heavier and heavier, making it nearly impossible to have any sort of interaction with Daniel. 

It had also been a couple of days since Sophia and I went to the coffee shop with Sasha. 

Yet, her words kept replaying in my mind. 

Did Tom really lie to Sasha about me? What else could he have possibly said about me?

"Hope it doesn't rain," my mom's voice brought me out of my thoughts. 

I looked up from the passenger seat next to her to see we had pulled up to the soccer field where Katie's team was already practicing. 

It probably wasn't the smartest idea for us to be here since Daniel and I had to keep our distance. 

And I could come up with some excuse that I was here to take a break from studying all weekend long. 

But deep down, I knew it was no use because as soon as I exited the car, my eyes immediately scanned the field for any sign of him.

After texting me that day at the coffee shop, he continued to send a couple more texts throughout the week asking to call me.

And I continued to ignore each one, the guilt sinking deeper and deeper with each time he called and I didn't hear his voice. 

But no matter how many excuses I tried to come up with or how many times I ignored his calls, I couldn't deny how much my heart longed for him. 

The guilt rising in my chest began to settle, the heavy weight becoming familiar. 

To say I missed him was an understatement. 

The sky suddenly turned dark as the bright sunlight was blocked by the clouds. Although spring had just sprung, I looked up to see dark, gloomy clouds looming over us, and I found myself relating to them somehow.

"This doesn't look too good." My mom looked up at the sky with a frown.

"Has rain ever stopped them from playing though?" I laughed, turning to her.

"No, but it will stop my good hair day." She sighed, moving her long brown hair away from her face.

"Not a chance." I laughed even more as we headed toward the bleachers.

"Oh, look who's here!"

I looked up to see Daniel walking up to us. A dark pair of sunglasses sat on his nose as he held a stack of boxes in his arms. 

A small gasp left my lips even though I was expecting to see him here. It's exactly why I abandoned the pile of assignments waiting to be tackled at home.